Room for Rent and other rental scams
#25208 by Michelle Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:34 pm
[email protected]

Hi
Thanks for your quick response,i will be glad if you can bring along a reference but a written reference either from your current Landlord or you company will be Ok.

mean while i will want to inform you that am letting out the flat on the fact that am out of at present as am handling a contract presently out side Brighton and i don't want my property to get spoil for lack of use since am planing to relocate

However, concerning viewing the flat................... i had bad experience with some future tenant..... It might interest you to know that someone call me down to Brighton base on the fact that he want to view my flat and make payment by cash but to my surprise after the viewing he presented me with a post dated cheque which will clear at the bank for at least five working days and it happen that i was there on Friday you can imagine how i feel on that day as am on a very tight schedule on that day i have to leave without letting out the flat although he apologize to me but am just too busy to waste my time on speculations a similar case happen to me recently..................... to prevent such happening again i have to conclude that anybody that want to view my flat which am sure that nobody will view it and will not want to rent it will need to show me an evidence that he/she can pay me by cash am sorry if am too strict but i will want you to show me an evidence that you can pay me by cash.................. what i will like you to do is very simple
Go to any Money gram agent close to you and transfer Deposit to your friend's name,your flat mate's name or anybody you trust within Uk as i don't want you to send me any money before viewing but make sure you come to the viewing along with the original receipt given to you at the Money gram outlet then mail me the date you want us to meet in Brighton for the viewing of the flat remember am not asking you to send me money mean while after the viewing and you are okay with the flat we will sign the lease agreement then you pay me in cash while the subsequent payment will be to my bank account ...
Note:You must come with the receiver of the payment to the viewing because immediately after the viewing you are to locate the nearest Moneygram outlet in other to cash the money for me. i will then set up a direct debit for the subsequent rent since am not based in Brighton

Please Michelle try to understand my point here i am not asking you to pay me any cash before viewing my property all i asked for is a Deposit proof £450 via Money gram to your partner's name(?)and get back to me with the scan copy of the western union or moneygram slip for me to see what you have done along with the best time you want us to meet up 41 Roedale Court, Brighton and immediately after the viewing,the receiver of the payment ( could be You or a partner )would locate the nearest M/G outlet to my property and cash the deposit for me in exchange of the keys so i want money gram to hold the money for us until after the viewing ...whilst the first month rent will be paid into my account by direct debit once you move in fully
I would also be responsible for the transfer fee by deducting the commission from the money to be transferred at Moneygram outlet because am pretty sure there will be commission according to what i read via their website and also there is nothing to be worried about my property i can assure you of that.

Please if there is anything you dont understand do get back to me asap
Regards
Ed

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement