Room for Rent and other rental scams
#25299 by Michelle Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:42 am
To: Michelle

Thank you very much for the email. I am Skelley mark and my wife is kate. we both live in glasgow for now ,i was transfer to glasgow from my place of work at inverness so i have to move along with my family.This is a 2 bedroom property with an HMO license. Excellent transport links to the rest of . now i need someone to live in my apartment as i don't like the way the door is close .Its a 2 bedroom property and well furnished as i am sure you would need the furniture's. But if you think you won't like to use the furniture's in the property you can explain to me if you have yours so that i can orgainze on how to move them to store and leave the Kitchen Utensils there for you. We hope you are honest and being sincere.as you can see we are looking for responsible family or Some one who is clean tied who could keep the environment clean and make it very tidy as well.
Smoker's and pets free, but must not be drug addicted someone. It cost £550 for the flat including the bills, Tax, Gas, Electricity internet facilities available and cost £400 for the deposit. We have just fixed a new washing machine into the property and hope you can make the property clean and tidy like your own. A fire place is very much available in the property as well.An attachment has been made of the picture's of the property along with this email.
Regards

from christopher skelley < [email protected] >
to Michelle
date 30 March 2010 23:55
subject Re: Re : here is a lovely 2 bedroom with seperate toilet and bath all room enslt @ Inverness area,
mailed-by gmail.com
Signed by gmail.com

We are offering a lovely, homely 2 bedroomed fully flat @ Well
Street,Inverness IV3, available for rent.you sound as an Idea tenant
we intend to lease our property to you and we like to allow you.we are
intend to rent our 2 bedroom flat out,as you can see via the pictures
the 3 rooms are all en-suit and the
kitchen and the dinning room are there for you to make use of them.we
are intent to let it out to anybody that shows interest.My wife and i
are very clean too as we are living in a family house here in glasgow
at present since i just got a new job. I will be working in the
morning so i can't make it in the morning, but my wife will not.may be
she is going to be the one to come for inspection or if i can talk to
my boss to allow me to rush
down for the inspection. she has a shop in the city center and have
our kids in school.Please, the washing machine has just been fixed and
just bought a new Micro-wave Oven in the kitchen and i hope you will
enjoy the property. The Flat is just 4 minutes walk to the Train tube
and have some shops around where you can get your needs. I will be
glad to arrange a viewing and meeting you in person, However, I need
you to know that I just moved to glasgow to take a new Job so I am
currently based and live and work in glasgow and If I have to
arrange a viewing for you, we would have to travel all the way from
glasgow for the viewing and I am sure you realize it is quite a
Journey for me.
Regards,

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement