Room for Rent and other rental scams
#175414 by Con Warner Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:15 am
Date: Aug 31, 2013 11:11
Subject: Fw: CONGRATULATION ON YOUR APPROVAL & PAPERS FOR SIGNING
To: Con Warner

The above document is the lease agreement and application form which is for minimum of one year or for as long as you want it in as much as you comply with the rules and regulations of the house and most especially take good care of the property, and i must confess that you are so so lucky to be approved for this lovely house, you are requested to print out this lease agreement for REVIEW and if it is okay by you and you are ready to rent the house finally, you can go ahead to make the payment and move into the house AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, all paper works were provided in the lease agreement that consisted the certificate of ownership and drivers license of the landlord download the lease and go through it and it has been signed by I the landlord and my manager to whom the payment is going to be confirmed and its just for you to print it out and sign your own part after which you will bring the receipt of your payment and the lease agreement signed down to the house to get the keys an hour after you make the payment. Ones Again CONGRATULATION on your new Home and wish you all the best and a successful living.Thank You

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

As stated above, the scammer uses fake documents. In this "rental agreement" for 23511 Geneva St, Oak Park, MI 48237, he is assuming the identities of PATRICK M MAREM & NINA M MAREM and uses the identity document, carrying the number M 455 599 067 232 . The person pictured on it is not involved in the scam.

He assumes the trading name "Michigan Homes" with a fake manager by the name of "SHERRIE POTTER" and the fake lease carries the footer "This Firm is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (No: 46140).
The services, we provide, are by Solicitors of United State Of America
Privacy policy | Terms © MICHIGAN homes
" on each page.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#176178 by mscryss82 Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:13 pm
Not sure if you can click the link to take you directly to this listing, but I contacted the people about this house for rent in this listing (I'll post the link below, and post relevant information as well), and they responded by texting me from that same number that was said to be connected with these people, 313-744-6966, and as soon as I told them that since we are in Florida and unable to look at the property ourselves, I would have my friend who lives very close to there come look for me, they stopped responding to my texts. So it's apparent it's the same people and they realized they couldn't get away with scamming us, since we have people to look at the supposed place for rent for us. I never responded saying that I knew it was a scam, I just searched the phone number and found this site and realized it was only 9 days ago that this was posted, so I figured it was a good idea for me to comment on it. The address is 300 E Argyle Street, Jackson, MI. And the link to the listing for it on hotpads.com is -- http://hotpads.com/rentals/300-E-Argyle ... PerQuad=24

Thank you for posting this so that I knew for sure that this was a scam.
#328571 by Tim Atem Sat May 20, 2017 4:34 am
I'm sorry you were scammed. You need to file a report with your local police and also with IC3 at https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/ and give them as much information as possible.

Can you post the email you received asking for payment with your personal information removed? This will help warn others. I had to remove your previous post because it contained your email address. Also, if that is your real name that you created for your username, you will need to contact an administrator (usernames that are in red) and request that it be changed as soon as possible.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5