Room for Rent and other rental scams
#176076 by Con Warner Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:37 pm
To: Con Warner
Subject: RE: Request for your Offer at Starflats.co.uk
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 11:11

Thanks for the sincere interest you have in my flat and yes you can arrange for a viewing ASAP.All bills are included in the rent and my flat is a one bedroom flat(definitely not a shared flat), i appreciate your sincerity and concern you have over the renting of my flat,because i have so many candidate online that are interested in my flat,but they are not trust worthy of their financial ability.So i have to work with care in having a good tenant,i liked the way you expressed your feelings over my flat and i appreciate. Housing benefit are accepted and will only be accepted if you stand as a middle man.I have experienced so many things in the hands of them,so i would not want to go through such again and don,t meet up to date as they promise.
It is unfortunate that our past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view our flat or make a reservation without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled,it has brought about great loss to us. I have traveled all the way from Coventry to take some interested candidates around our flat because that's where i work. Some outside tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who are in Bath, also some do not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by their employees.
However, i wouldn't want to collect any money from you as long as you have not sign a contract neither have i take you round my flat.we would not ask you to send your bank statement. At least 1 Month rent and security deposit which is 350GBP(all bills included) & a deposit of 650GBP which is refundable after your first week stay in my flat, would be required from you to transfer through Western union post office and the only way i can help you is for you to make a deposit of one month because of your previous condition. You can make the transfer to your closest relation(friend) to your destined address.
Once you have done this, you can scan the receipt to us, and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as we will send it to our lawyer to verify on the online website, after verification, then we proceed for reservation/viewing and our flat is okay for you when you arrive, then you will go and pickup the money back and pay for the rent and also, i will refund back to you the cost of transfer and don,t forget all this are to confirm your financial ability and finalizing of the viewing will be done immediately.

Kindly let me know your opinion as soonest as you get this message. At this stage that you are interested in my flat.

Hope to hear from you soonest and my greetings to your family.

Best Regards
Mr/Mrs David

This person asks for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent (for a property that he does not own) due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a cash or bank transfer either to him, his lawyer, your friend or a family member.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, this person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union or Moneygram with the promise that they will send the keys through a courier company.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#178480 by Galava Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:51 am
Thank you so much for posting this. We are seeking a flat for a friend and came across an advert for a rental offered by this person, and we were unaware it was a scam until we searched for the email address and found it here! We also replied to another which also appears to be a scam. I'll add the details to that entry also.

This is the email they sent to us, in case it's of interest / use:

Thanks for the interest you have in my flat and my flat is currently available for rent.My flat is available for both long and short term.you can be my tenant as long as you can afford the rent when it is due. Here are the important details you need to know about the rent and deposit of my flat.

Rent £350 pcm : £ 87.50 pw,Security Deposit: £ 650.00 (Returnable at the end of a week stay in my flat),Utility bills inclusive ( water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet)

However i need to know some few information about you.Can you keep my flat clean? Do you have a references here in Lancaster?. Hope to hear from you for further information you will need and i will like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat.

I look forward to reading from you. Have a wonderful day ahead.

Best Regards
Mr/Mrs David