Room for Rent and other rental scams
#178208 by TheLoneGroover Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:56 pm
Whilst I wouldn't say that http://wg-gesucht.de/ is a total scam site, it does seem to attract its fair share of scammers. Having said that, I do know of people who have managed to find accommodation on this site. With the new academic year starting and millions of students are making their way back to University, this is a prime time for the rental scammers to push their wares on an unsuspecting public.

Elsewhere on this forum there is an account of another scammer who is using this the site. http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41704&p=172498&hilit=daniel+schindler#p172498

One such scammer is Sofia Ayoola. Also known from her email address as [email protected].

IP address came up as 196.46.245.49 - User Agent was Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009072518 Firefox/3.0.12

The thing to watch out for on wg-gesucht.de are listings without photo's or mobile numbers that seems to have rents at average or below average prices.

When I emailed Sofia, I received the following reply.

Hello,
The flat is available for rent now
Apartment exact address is..........Franz-Knauff-Str.13, 69115 Köln, Germany
the 2nd floor of the building.

The lease is --€350/Month/per room/ including the
utilities,fridge-freezer,oven,
washing machine, dryer, gas cooker,microwave, dishwasher, electricity bill,
internet charges and others.

€550 for the security deposit which is refundable during the departure time

RENT APPLICATION FORM
1)Your Full Name
2)Your Full Address & Phone Number
3)How old are you?
4)Are you married?
5)How many people will be living in the room?
6)Do you have a pet?
7)Do you have a car?
8)Occupation?
9)How long Do you intend to stay?
Reply me via my E-MAIL or my SKYPE account.....SOFIA.AYOOLA
Best wishes,
Sofia

If you are dealing with this person, you would be wise to drop all communications at once. Please do not send her money!!
Advertisement

#178259 by ricola0815 Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:05 am
Hi,

I totally agree, there are definitely a lot of scams on that site, although I have not come across this Sofia user. In what city was that ad listed? I did come across a lot of other suspicious looking ads on wggesucht

You could try XXXXXX (BW). they have a much friendlier design and I always get great responses on that site. I also didnt see any spams on there so you should give it a go.

Let me know how you got on!