Room for Rent and other rental scams
#178273 by ChaserX17 Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:50 am
Date: Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Subject: Re: 21 Leominster Ct listing
To: *******************

Hello
My name is Joshua D Ferrante , I own the wonderful 3br - Single-Family Home . And I also want you to know that it was due to my missionary work transfer that made me want to leave the house with an intention of giving it out for rent ( We decided against selling it ) . I am looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of my property. I am not particular about the money for the rent but want the property to be kept clean at all time as it is our hard-earned property. If you are honestly interested and will absolutely maintain my property,(treating it like it belongs to you) that will be great as i hope i can put my trust and confidence in you because i will come to check on my property yearly. I initially wanted to put the house for sale but had a second thought to rather put it up for rent, because as a matter of fact l will be coming back home in the next 3yrs,and would need a place to live in. you are welcome to the house at your convenient but you will only be able to see the property from the outside for now and do get back to me as soon as that is done, And you may see For Sale Sign at the front of my House cause i initially wanted to put the house for sale ,i am working on removing the sign since am renting it Out .....

Presently, I am here in Brownwood Texas doing the Lord's duty for humanity, for through our direct service to mankind, the blessings and promises of God will manifest. The house vital informative documents and the entrance keys to the house are with me, for i try to look for dependable agent to handle the rent but could not find due to the limited time we had before leaving. Mostly we do not want our property to be given to any sort of person to avoid damages and troubles.You can go over or drive by to see the house, but you can only view from outside for now, i hope you understand , so I hope you will promise us to take very good care of the house. So get back to me on how you could take care of our house or perhaps the experience and your present living condition.

*PETS ( Dogs and Cats are allowed )

Security Deposit : $1,000
Monthly Rent : $1,200

Lease Term : As long as you wished So if you are really interested let me know so i can send you the Rental Application Form for you to fill out.

God Bless You
Regards

The above is the copied e-mail that we were sent. My girlfriend and I are desperate for an apartment in this area and stupidly responded to this e-mail. We received a request to fill out an application with a bunch of our personal information which my girlfriend did, leaving out social security numbers(thankfully). The next day at 6 in the morning we received 5 consecutive phone calls from a New Jersey number registered as a google phone number. No messages were left. Then the number texted us and said it wanted to talk. When we called back it did not respond or pick up, and the call went to the google default voicemail...

"Joshua" just called back, a man of indeterminate age with a very thick accent. He did not respond to any request to see the rental unit, he just immediately started mumbling something about "sending him a deposit." I just stated that I'd already found an apartment and he hung up. Then he texted me two minutes later asking "you do not want my apartment?"

Added quotation. (BW)
Advertisement

#178280 by Bryon Williams Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:55 pm
Con Warner writes:
This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/