Room for Rent and other rental scams
#179316 by Michelle Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:36 am

Van: "Lara Gutgsell" <[email protected]>
Datum: 20 oktober 2013 09:54:10 CEST
Aan: Michelle Banks
Onderwerp: Antw.:

Hi Michelle

I will inform you about how this service works. As I said before, you will need to deposit into UPS Logistics bank account the money for 2 months (1 month warranty+1 month of rent= €1160), so they can proceed with the shipping and you will receive the keys and the contract.

I will explain you step by step how UPS service works:

- To start the transaction I will need your shipping details(name,address etc.) so I can go to the UPS office and make all the legal arrangements.
- UPS will check the envelope and if everything is in order they will send you a payment invoice to let you know they have the package in their custody.
- After you will receive the payment invoice, you will need to make the money transfer in their bank account.
- After the transfer is checked, you will receive the package in about 2-3 working days at your address. Then,you will go together with their agent to see the apartment and you will have a period of 24 hours to decide if you keep it or not.

If you don't like the apartment by any reasons, the agent will give you the money back or send it to your account, and you will send them the package back to return me on my expense.
All this time the company will keep the money in holding, I will receive it only after the contract is signed!

If you agree then, you need to forward me your full name and address so I will be able to make all the arrangements with the UPS company.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
Lara Gutgsell

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer through a escrow service with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement