Room for Rent and other rental scams
#179378 by Michelle Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:53 am

[email protected]

My name is Cathrin, I have available the apartment in Via Galliera 50.
something about me:
I'm a 41 years old German woman and I worked as a development engineer in Bologna. My contract period there expired and now I've moved back to Berlin-my born city, to spend some time with my family and to get a job here.

The price for a month of rent is €450 including the utilities. It's fully furnished and equipped,but there is a storage where you can deposit my furniture if you want to bring your own stuff.
The apartment has 58m2 and it was recently renovated.

As I said, I'm in Berlin because I live here now and I'm the only person who has the keys of the apartment, but I have a solution to solve this problem, so you can move in the apartment when you receive the keys.

Thank you and let me know if you have any questions for me.

Sincerely,
Cathrin Daecher

Hi again,

thank you for your quick reply. The apartment is ready for you, you will only have to receive the keys and the contract to check it and see if you like it.
In order of that, I've found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast so you will receive the keys in less than 3 days. No one could help me show the apartment because I don't know the neighbors very well.
The solution I've chosen is provided by a company called UPS Logistics, so they will take care both the delivery and payment issues. I will support the shipping taxes for the package.

Regarding the monthly payments I want to receive them in my personal bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you.

I would like to know more details about you. This just to know us better, it is very important for me to know who will live in my apartment because I want a good person.
I think you can understand me.. and finally I request money for 1 month of rent + 1 month warranty.

Hope to hear from you soon and I'll explain you more about how we will do this.

Sincerely,
Cathrin Daecher

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement