Room for Rent and other rental scams
#179675 by Michelle Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:27 pm
On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 12:24 PM PDT Cathy Stypa [email protected] wrote:
>
>Hi,
>
>
>Thanks for the email my house is still available for rent,I am currently in West Africa with my family where we work as a volunteer with the Missionary, here is the website www.missionary-blogs.com for more details about why we are here in West Africa .We spent less time in the States so we could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when we knew how long we are going to stay in West Africa that we decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sell out the house. which we tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the price and it takes longer to sell we are telling you this in case you find the house on another website, that is the old advert So we need a tenant to take care of it but since we are out of the state now, we have received some proposals regarding the rent because it is located in a very good neighbourhood, but we still have to make sure it is rented out to someone who can take
> good care of it.The keys to the House are right here with me and i could send it to you after all necessary agreement has be accepted by my family,It includes facilities such as water and heat laundry facilities, air condition, internet and telephone access and a car park and other necessary facilities, also comes with trash collection, pets are allowed as well as long as they are not destructive,we also want you to let us have trust in you as we always stand on our word. So if you know you are capable of the task,It is available for a long and short lease.It is not the money that is the main problem but we want you to keep it tidy all the time so that we will be glad to see it neat when we come for a check up.You will only be able to drive by the house for now but not have a look at the interior until we have sent the keys and documents of the house to you.So we wouldn't want any violation on our property if finally rented by you. Please if you
> are ready now to occupy the house kindly provide the information below for record purpose
>
>House Address: 5111 E 12th St, Casper, WY 82609
>Monthly Rent:$750
>Security Deposit:$300
>Bedrooms: 3
>Bathrooms: 2.5
>Size: 2,000 sq ft
>Pet Allowed
>
> RENTAL APPLICATION FORM
>
>Full name:
>Profession:
>Age:
>Monthly income:
>
>Present Address of the applicants:
>Zip code:
>reasons for leaving: need to find a permanent resident (long or short term)
>
>
>How long do you intend staying: As long as property is Available (long or short term is ok with us)
>Do you drink or smoke: no
>Do you have a Car:
>
>Ph Cell & Home:
>Email:
>Single Or Married:
Children:
>
>Pet: If any ():
>Occupation:
>Date of Tenancy:____________________Move In Date:____________________
>
>How soon can you secure the property with the down payment: As soon as possible
>How soon do you want to receive the keys and documents of my property: we would like to move in hopefully around the beginning of November
>
> PERSONAL REFERENCES
>
>(A PERSON, OTHER THAN YOUR RELATIVES, THAT I CAN CONTACT TO VERIFY YOUR CHARACTER.)
>
>FIRST PERSON:
RELATIONSHIP:
PHONE:
>EMERGENCY:
>
>(IN AN EMERGENCY, A PERSON THAT CAN BE CONTACTED STARTING WITH NEAREST RELATIVES)
>
>SECOND PERSON:
RELATIONSHIP:
>
>NOTE: YOU CANT SEE THE INSIDE OF THE HOUSE RIGHT NOW, BECAUSE AM CURRENTLY WITH THE KEYS AND PAPERWORK OF THE HOUSE. BUT YOU ARE FREE TO DRIVE BY THE HOUSE TO SEE THE OUT SIDE OF THE HOUSE.
>
>
>Hope to read from you soonest...\
>
>+234 708 705 4912 (call anytime)get an international calling card and include the plus sign when dialing the number.
>
>Thanks so much and GOD bless youREV DARYL KNOTT AND FAMILY
>

To: Michelle Banks
Sent: Fri, Oct 25, 2013 7:58 PM PDT
Subject: Re: CONFIRMATION QUESTION...

Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to email me and your interest in taking proper good care of our house,Thanks for taking your time to fill the rental application form, it is well filled out, i must say we are really happy to hear from you.I have showed your full information to my family and they are very much okay with it and we have decided to rent out our house to you,the keys and the paper work of the house will be ship to you so that you can possibly occupy our house, but first you will have to secure the house by coming up with a down payment so that we can secure the house for you till your move in date.

Please below here are the questions we want you to answer because we want to know some certain things that are not clear to Us here okay

1)Will you be able to take very good care of my property?
2)Where do you wants the keys and the paper work to be ship to?
3)Who will be receiving the keys and the paper work?
4)How soon do you want the keys to be ship to you?
5)How much can you down payment can you pay to secure the house till your moving date so that the keys can be ship to you?

The following document will be send to you via FedEx COURIER SERVICE on next day delivery services to the address you provided to us, and the tracking number on the packages will be send to you so that you can possibly occupy our house.

Here are the contents of the document that needs to be sent you.

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys
2) Paper/Permanent house form
3) The house documentary file.
4) Full Description of the house
5) Payment Receipt.

So as soon as you answer the questions above we will proceed further on how you will be receiving the keys and the paper work okay and also to let you know that it will be ship by FedEx COURIER SERVICE DELIVERY and will be delivered to your door step in the next 18 hours after the payment is been confirmed.So do get back to Us asap so that we can proceed further.

Thanks and God bless

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement