Room for Rent and other rental scams
#181019 by Con Warner Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:35 pm
http://geneva.fr.craigslist.ch/roo/4143779088.html
Date: 2013/11/12
Subject: Re: - CHF500 Rooms for rent (Geneva)
To: Con Warner

Hi,

The rooms are still available.We are from Leeds in England and currently not in Geneva.We only use this house for our family vacation,it is a 3 bedroom house.The house is fully furnished.It is located at Rue Pradier 3,1201 Geneva.The rooms are 16square meter in size.You will share the apartment with a 22years female student who will move in December 20th. The rooms are available till June 2015.Minimum rent is one month.You can reserve the room.

It has all it takes to make a home like tv,dvd player,cable, high speed internet,modern heating system,washing machine,dish,washer parking space for a car,electricity.It will be a home away from home for you.What matters to us most is good conduct staying there taking care of the house as if it is yours.

The rooms are CHF500 per month for one covers all utilities with refundable CHF500 security deposit.You will make deposit of CHF500 if you really want us to reserve the room for you,this is to assure us that you are serious in taking the room.So that my dad will come to Geneva to receive you into the house and collect your balance in cash.We have had some bad experiences in the past where my dad scheduled to meet with people but on arriving Geneva none of them came money,energy and time wasted.Since them my dad maintained that anybody that wants to rent our house must make deposit before he will leave UK to Geneva.

Attached is the pictures if you like it get back to me so that i will send you Rental Application Form to fill. You can call my dad Mr.Wallace Ornstein on +447024056268 Fax +44-7005963172

Linda

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement