Room for Rent and other rental scams
#182743 by Con Warner Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:27 am
Date: Nov 25, 2013 11:11
Subject: Re: Rental on craigslist
To: Con Warner
Cc:

Hello,

Thanks for your email. The house is still available. I am deaf and I decided to rent the house because i am going to spend more time here in Alabama for about 8 years.Let me start by introducing myself I must confess that I am very new in this landlord business.However, My name is Dexter P. Wharton,I own the house located at 4 Birchbriar Way Greenville SC 29605 size is 1,799sqft.Due to my job as a missionary with the General Board of Global Ministries of the United Methodist Church International,I am presently serving as Area Financial Executive (AFE) with the United Methodist Church in Albertville,Alabama.I am responsible for receiving distribution of funds for various UMC projects in Albertville,and all related works with other mission personnel.my current home is in the vineyard of the Lord in Albertville.The initial plan was to sell out the House. which I tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell.Because of this reason and more i need a responsible person (With good credit) that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money,but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours. You can drive through the house anytime of the day if you wish to see the house for your self.
You can get back to me through mail if you are still interested in the home.
The rent is $750 and 520 for Security Deposit.
For this 3Bedroom 2Bath.Also all pets are allowed as long as they are not destructive.You can get back to me on 9013521713 text only as im deaf.

Thanks for your interest and I will look forward to hearing from you soon.

Dexter,

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement