Room for Rent and other rental scams
#182747 by Con Warner Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:35 am
Date: November 26, 2013 at 11:11
To: Con Warner
Subject: RE: HUGE 2-BED/2-BATH/PARKING

Thanks for taking the time to look at my property.

My name is Anna Skinner, I'm 58 years old, I'm a retired engineer and I'm the owner of this condo. I lived in this beautiful condo for over 5 years and loved every day of it. The condo come with two parking spots . Four months ago I moved to London United Kingdom at my sons place to take care of my 2 years old nephew. Unfortunately, my health and undergoing treatment don't allow me to do any traveling for the next few months, so I will not be able to come and meet you personally for a while.
I really want to find a good and responsible tenant for it, and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself. You will live alone, this is not a share.

The monthly rent for the apartment is US $900

I am looking for someone to rent anywhere from 3 months to 5 years. Everything is included (water,electricity, Internet,cable, parking,air conditioning, fireplace, dishwasher, garbage) and I want to receive the money monthly in my bank account. You can move in the condo in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys and I have nobody in the area that could show you the condo (my son and nephew are my only family). In order to check & see if you like it (I'm sure that you'll love it), you need to receive the keys and the contract by postal service (DHL 2 Days Delivery). Obviously we need a way to complete this deal in a safe and fast way for both of us and the solution is provided by a company called REALTOR ( http://www.Realtor.com/ I am already registered with them since is the second time when I am using their services) which will handle the payment and delivery of the Keys. Here you can see here how Realtor.com Payment Services work.

They have a program that protects the tenants deposit and makes sure that the tenant is fully satisfied with the condo before I receive the money. In conclusion, the money will be deposited and locked in their custody until you will be able to view & accept the condo.
If you want to know more about how this deal can work please get back to me ASAP and I will send you the step by step procedure. Let me know if you are interested because I really need to take care of this matter by the end of the next week. Please don't forget also to send some information about you and the people with who you will be living with.

All the best from London !

Anna

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union or MoneyGram to an escrow company with a promise that he will send the keys through a courier company.

Sounds safe. It's not!
The emails claiming to be from the company are fake.

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement