Room for Rent and other rental scams
#185140 by Mike Wilson Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:22 pm
Filip Kustiv [email protected] Craigslist rental scam

I'm presently on a trip to the US and would be back to London at the end of the week, so my UK number is +447024066721, and you can text me on my temporary US number 803-937-3215. I hope to hear from you and with the filled form soon. Thanks
Filip.

Ok. To proceed with reservation, you will have to fill out a booking form and make 60% advance deposit of the total cost via PayPal, then the balance would be paid in cash upon your arrival. Should I send the booking form?

Filip.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
Advertisement

#186123 by ricdon Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:23 am
We just made 50% deposit to Filip in Nov for July London rental. How do we know it is a scam for sure?
I will contact PayPal immediately, but if you can advise how you know, I would appreciate it.
#186140 by Mike Wilson Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:20 am
The telephone number, +447024066721 , is a UK personal redirect number that can forward calls to any location in the world. The numbers beginning with +4470 and used by scammers to pretend they are in the UK while there true location is hidden. They also hide behind SMS/text messaging because their West African accent would give them away. These two items together are a sure sign of a scam.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#197790 by CAMerrill1 Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:18 pm
In my experience, filip.kustiv definitely operates rental scams on Craigs list. He receives funds through another email on PayPal .... [email protected]

I feel like a complete fool but I had done much checking and nothing was coming up at the time I made the reservation with a $600 deposit. I was naive enough to believe that this was a real person who had a place to rent. My naivete is, hopefully, enough to deter anyone else from trusting this scammer.

It didn't even occur to me that it was a scam until he did not respond to later emails. Unfortunately, the time had passed for me to seek any recourse from my credit card agency or PayPal. On the bright side, at least I found out BEFORE we arrived in Paris with no place to go!

From here on out - NO Craig's list. I will go through a bonafide agency like AirBNB or VRBO or the like....