Room for Rent and other rental scams
Advertisement

#203128 by mzjoymc Mon May 26, 2014 8:34 pm
FORTUNATELY THE "FBI/IC3" DEPARTMENT WAS CREATED SPEICIFACALLY FOR INTERNET/EMAIL SCAMS, ABUSE. MORE THAN LIKELY THEY ALSO INVESTIGATE POTENTIAL "SCAMMERS" THAT CRTIQUE VICTIMIZATION.
HOPE THAT ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION :=)
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT
#203153 by AlanJones Tue May 27, 2014 1:21 am
What exactly are you expecting the FBI/IC3 to do? The email posted in the original post of this thread is factually correct - a scammer is using the names Lawrence Meigs-Mcdonell and Michele Meigs-Mcdonell and the email address [email protected] - unless that is your exact email address it is nothing to do with you, except similar names.

As Byron said a few posts up

it is to your advantage to have the name remain, since the scammer IS using your name. If someone were to do a search, it is better that they find the info showing that you are a victim, as without it they may assume you are the actual scammer.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#203296 by yarny77 Wed May 28, 2014 1:27 am
NO DOUBT the person complaining is THE SAME PERSON!!! I COPIED THE POST FROM THE SITE TO STICK IT UP HIS ASS...THE LYING sob...ALSO CALLED HIM...he was in denial then too...
#205661 by MmC Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:36 pm
Now, they're using [email protected] and [email protected]. The phone no. is +234-903-064-6370
I tried to rent: 41 Mount Pleasant St #1, Somerville, MA 02145. FROM CRAGISLIST!
He asked me to pay about $580 for one month which is much lower than the others.

He said "you should trust me like I trust you..what I give you is my home, so dun let me down..give me the deposit..and then I will make my wife give you the key and documents." I'm not sure that wife does exist or not. What she did is reply and chase.

After bargaining, I paid out $100 as deposit, but I'm very lucky because of the validation process of western union. I hope Western Union should work together with the police to catch these guys.
I know what I lost is just transfer fee obviously, but I dun feel well about it.

Now they're using an unknown number calling me. I think these scammers can simulate the phone number.
I'm a foreigner student. I'm feeling soooo terrible and disappointed with this situation.
Well, hope FBI or police will catch them ASAP.

His name is Lawrence Meigs Mcdonnell.
The wife's name is Michele Joy Meigs-Mcdonnell, she even emailed me her SSN, but who knows it's fake or not.

Unfortunately, here's not acceptable to upload the pic for that.
No. is: A8205896
Address: 947 GILBERT APT 26 HEMET CA 92543
HT: 5-09
HAIR: BRN
WT: 160
EYES: BRN
DOB: 07-07-65
and apparently, she's a black female.
#205663 by Bryon Williams Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:49 pm
Hello MmC,

I am sorry to hear you lost money to this scammer. The phone number you posted is from Nigeria. This is where the scammer is located.

If you made the transfer today and recently. You can call Western Union and see if it has been picked up. The chances of the police finding the scammer is very slim.

Just ignore any further communication with the scammer and eventually he will go away. If someone say's they can get your back it will also be a scam.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#205672 by MmC Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:04 pm
hi Bryon,

thanks for your suggestion.

That's why I put each single information here.
Hope someone who is getting rentals from these guys will google his/her name first.
I'm sure the comments here will be great helpful.
#220226 by huskerfan08 Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:50 am
I have recently been strung along with this scammer The area for the rental was in Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin. It was a 2 bedroom home for 500$ and the man stated that utilities were included and he wanted the deposit and rent sent by western union. The man posed by the name of DELBERT WALDSCHMIDT but once we spoke on the phone after he called with the number +2349030646370 it was not an american accent and the man had allot of difficulty speaking English. After looking at some of the posts I saw a similar application information email like this:

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 5:00 AM, ghh ghhss < [email protected] > wrote:
Greetings!

Thanks for your email.. The house is still available. I decided to rent the house because we are going to spend more time here in Nigeria, about 3 years.. Let me start by introducing myself. I must confess that I am very new in this landlord business.. However, My name is Delbert Waldschmidt. I and my wife own the house, Due to her job as a Medical Doctor, she works for American Red Cross Lutheran Hospital Donor Center, and now she have been transfer to West Africa to work in a branch in Nigeria. We spent less time in the States so we could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when We knew how long we are going to stay in Nigeria that We decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sell out the house which we tried but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer time to sell. The utilities are included in the rent, because of this reason and more we need a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours.

Information about the house below:
The rent is: $500
Security Deposit: $500
It is a 2 Bedroom 2 Bathroom
Address: 606 Bruce St, Fond Du Lac, WI 54935
City: Fond Du Lac
State: WI
Zip code: 54935
sq ft: 1,326
Pet are also Welcome.

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF

RENT APPLICATION FORM

FIRST NAME:__________________
MIDDLE NAME:_________________ ?
LAST NAME:__________________ ?
PROFESSION:________________ ?
(CELL) PHONE (____)__________
(WORK) PHONE (____)__________ ?
(HOME) PHONE (____)__________ ?
KIDS_____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY________
PRESENT ADDRESS:_____________________ ?
CITY:_______________ ?
STATE:______________ ?
ZIP CODE:____________ ?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?______________ ?
IF YOU HAVE A PET,
NAME OF PET:_____________ ?
KIND OF PETS:_____________ ?
Comment

TAKE NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY DRIVE BY AND SEE MY PLACE FROM THE OUTSIDE, BUT IF DRIVE BY THE HOME YOU MAY SEE A SIGN THERE, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, IT BELONGS TO OUR PREVIOUS AGENT SO YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AND DON'T HAVE TO CALL THEM BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE HOME ANYMORE! IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN RENTING, GET THE APPLICATION FORM FILLED OUT AND SEND IT BACK TO ME OK.

Here is my mobile phone +234-811-487-8091

Thank you & Have a blessed day,

DELBERT WALDSCHMIDT.

---

We spoke a few more times and I even looked up the property on Google maps. I feel stupid as I really believed that I was getting a place so cheap. But it was way too good to be true. I Want to know what more I can do to help and to catch this S.O.B.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.