#186386 by Con Warner Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:42 am
rom: "craigslist 4235382078" <[email protected]>
Date: January 3, 2014 at 11:11
To: Con Warner
Subject: Re: Wake up every morning views of the city and ocean

Hello,

Thanks for your interest.
The address is as posted on Craigslist.
To hold your dates, April 8th - 15th. 7 nights. $110 per night. Total rental cost $770

50 per cent deposit of total rental cost $385
Refundable security deposit of $300
Cleaning fee and Tax $100

You are to make a total deposit of $785 to reserve your dates. Please let me know if you are really ready now and would like to move forward with the reservation so that i can send to you the rental contract agreement form and deposit details.

It would be my great pleasure to assist you with your vacation planning.

Thank you,
A. Kenneth
[email protected]
Direct Business Line. Call or Text 619 320 5468

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#189383 by pknud Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:47 pm
Hi,

I have the experienced a scam of A. Kenneth as well. We "rented" 1 2br condo at 1837 Kalakaua Ave #1306, Honolulu, HI 96815 from 1/25 thru 3/15.

In my case the payment should be made to the owner's bank account:
Account name: Joseph and Dorothy Bender
Account number:--042249785
Routing number:--072000326
Bank Name: Chase Bank

Best regards - Per