Room for Rent and other rental scams
#188802 by Grrrr Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:24 pm
I am looking for a room in New York City right now and these people are running at least 3 room scams at once... I've had previous dealings with rental scammers and I know this is a scam.

<b>Property 1</b> was an ad for a room in Park Slope, Brooklyn.
The pictures are at least from 10th floor with a Manhattan look out of window... Also, they picture a brownstone as a property and the windows inside don't match in width.
This particular Craigslist ad has already been removed. Their phone number is: 989-6236-070 First I had to text, then they replied I write to their e-mail address (above) and then they sent me an e-mail.
This is the e-mail I received:

Hello,

How are you doing today? i am so sorry for the delay to respond i have not been too fine of late. Thank you very much for taking you time to write me, it is my sincere pleasure to write you back, and to let you know that my home apartment you are making inquiry of is still available for share the Utilities Included: Heat,Gas,Electricity, Water,Dryer, Washer and internet/Cable. Available from now,monthly rent is $500 also so note that the security deposit will be needed

Let me quickly introduce myself to you.. My name is Juaquinta Harris and my husband's name is John Harris. My husband is the owner of the property.Some months ago we both had a very serious car accident, that affected my Spinal Cord and brain, that lead to my disability, now l am using wheel chair and l find it very difficult to talk, but l can still communicate through any means of writing, i lost my lost my husband few days latter after the accident now i am staying with my Mom in Miami FL

Actually I and my husband both resided in our home apartment before the accident but i decided to put it for share for my mother's hospital bill and take care of myself i am here in Miami FL helping my mom in her treatment she is suffering from a heart disease but i need a good and responsible person that can share with me and take care of my home apartment even while i am away.

So still feel free to check on the address is 467 6th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11215 but note that you can not be allowed in because the keys of the apartment is not available, you can only drive by or pass by to see the exterior of the building.

Those are the pictures of the interior i have attached to you so if you are still interested and ready you can get back to me so we can get along with the next step thanks.

Regards

Juaquinta Harris

Property #2 is an apartment share in Chelsea, Manhattan.

Here's their Craigslist ad:
$650 / 1600ft² - LOW PRICE APARTMENT HOME FOR SHARE IN THE HEART OF MANHATTAN (Chelsea)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
1600ft2

The 2bed/2bath apartment is in the Chelsea neighbourhood in New York. Nearby parks include New York Restoration Project, Chelsea Park and Penn South Playground.

361 West 30th Street has a Walk Score of 100 out of 100. This location is a Walker's Paradise so daily errands do not require a car.

Nearby schools include St Michael Academy, PS 33 Chelsea Prep Elementary School and Learning Spring E S.The closest grocery stores are NSA Supermarkets, Evan's Snacks and Chelsea Marketplace.

Nearby coffee shops include Cafe Bravo Inc, Tim Hortons and New Morgan Cafe. Nearby restaurants include Cloud 9 Diner, Penn Plaza and Morgan Grocery & Deli Corporation.

361 West 30th Street is near Fashion Institute of Technology, Foot Locker Headquarters and King's College.There are excellent bike lanes and the terrain is flat as a pancake. 361 West 30th Street is very bikeable, biking is convenient for most trips. Bike sharing is available from Citi Bike.You can reach owner via text on 203 456 7837 for more information.

I communicated with them via a text message and they replied I must reply to the e-mail address, the same as at the property #1.

<b>Property #3:</b>
Here's their ad:

$500 CLEAN ROOM Toilet In Queens, NY (Queens)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
$500 With $500 Own Your Own Room, Toilet In Queens, NY (11372)

All utilities are included in the rent (electricity, heat, gas, hot water, cable and the internet).

Please inquire for more details and pictures. Text Me Only: (646) 863-6833...Thanks ...

I texted the number - the same procedure. Received this e-mail back:

Thanks for your emailing me, My apartment is still available for rent/share, Its a 2bedroom, 2.5 bath, It's $500 per month for just 1 room and the security deposit of $300 which is refundable which including the utilities like hydro,washer and security,it is furnished, a kitchen totally equipped with electrical oven, microwave,refrigerator, washing machine and dryer. It has a parking in the same property. You will have your own toilet, bath and you will use the whole kitchen, You will have one room in the apartment as a share for $500 with a refundable security deposit of $300.

Its Beautiful and well maintained immaculate apartment,Which is occupied by me before I left for Miami, Florida to occupy my Late Grandma house, I left due to my health conditions, I am a deaf, i cant speak and hear you, but i can read sign, The room is available for a short and long term because i will be occupying my Grandma's house.

I will like you to drive by to the building when you are free to view the exterior of the building for you to know where the apartment is located (8510 34Th Ave, Queens, NY 11372), Also i have attached some of the pictures of the interior so that you can have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks and we can proceed to the next step which is the application process.

Regards

Harris

The e-mail for this one was different: [email protected]
Advertisement

#189101 by figureditout Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:43 pm
Scam Email this time is " [email protected]"

They did the same thing, posted a Craigslist ad that tells you to text, then the took some hours to reply asking me to email them and then took a couple of hours to send me the same message with some photos that were as bogus as their "story" listed below.

"Thanks for your emailing me, My apartment is still available for rent/share, Its a 2bedroom, 2.5 bath, It's $500 per month for just 1 room and the security deposit of $300 which is refundable which including the utilities like hydro,washer and security,it is furnished, a kitchen totally equipped with electrical oven, microwave,refrigerator, washing machine and dryer. It has a parking in the same property. You will have your own toilet, bath and you will use the whole kitchen, You will have one room in the apartment as a share for $500 with a refundable security deposit of $300.

Its Beautiful and well maintained immaculate apartment,Which is occupied by me before I left for Miami, Florida to occupy my Late Grandma house, I left due to my health conditions, I am a deaf, i cant speak and hear you, but i can read sign, The room is available for a short and long term because i will be occupying my Grandma's house.

I will like you to drive by to the building when you are free to view the exterior of the building for you to know where the apartment is located (2650 Ocean Pkwy Apt 1L.Brooklyn, NY 11235), Also i have attached some of the pictures of the interior so that you can have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks and we can proceed to the next step which is the application process.

Regards
Juaquinta Harris"

I tried contacting the actual building "ocean terrace apartments 2650 Ocean Pkwy Apt Brooklyn, NY 11235" but a fax machine is attached to the number. Oh well.