Room for Rent and other rental scams
#196179 by MARGGGY Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:08 pm
Just found this site and thank goodness. Watch out for [email protected], I found word for word in a rental post on kijiji what a scammer has posted. This guy has been trying to rope my daughter into this scam, trying to rent an apartment. Says he is in new york and is trying to get her to put ads up for him as well as rent her this other apratment, as he is unable to. States he is trying to get a plane ticket to meet her sunday to show the apartment. I've copied and pasted a lot on here and sent it to her to show her this guy is a scammer. How do these people sleep at night?
Advertisement

#196297 by Cash Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:36 pm
I knew something was fishy about this guy, I have been arranging to view his "apartment" as well and he asked me to post an ad for him too. Also sent me pictures of him and his wife (Still unsure why) but it probably isn't even him.....ugh too bad i was excited to rent that beautiful apartment!!! Disgusting!
#204058 by anderson8503 Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:56 am
Hi there!! I am in Edmonton, Alberta and have been e-mailing back and fourth with "Luca Adams" apparently using the other name was getting him into some trouble. The e-mail he is using with me right now is [email protected]

I was so excited for this place - nice little place on Jasper Ave - couldn't believe the fully furnished deal blah blah blah!!!!!

He asked for a picture of my boyfriend and I - so I sent it as well as a ton of information about us..........
In the other posts i've read on this thread the guy is claiming to be 40+ years old... "Luca" is 39 in the e-mails he has sent me.

Dear Nicole,

You have a nice profile and I think you could be the new tenant.. Nice to meet you!

I would like to tell you a little bit about me and my family, I want to give you some insight into who I am.

I'm currently 39 years old and married. I'm very career focused and will be spending a lot of my time at the office. I work hard for my family. I'm a mature individual, very sincere, respectable and love friending new people. I'm a caring person who believes in taking good care of things!
My wife is speech language pathology, her name is Gabriella and we have one daughter, Nicola, that is 3 years old.
I inherited the apartment from my grandfather when he past away, I am from Rome, Italy, so I decided to rent it.

This is the second time I tried to rent the apartment, I had a deal with somebody before who said he will rent it if I come there.. So I got a plane ticket, and guess what!? When I arrived there, he didn't show up and after 2 days he gave me a call and said that he is sorry but he can't rent it anymore, because he has no money.
It was unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view my apartment without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me.
So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally, but now I don't want to buy another plane ticket to come and fall for it once more... maybe you won't show up. I'm sick of tire-kickers, people who are just looking around and not serious about renting, so please don't waste my time... No offence!

I am the only person who has the keys, but I have a good solution if you are still interested.. You can have the keys in hands in less than 48 hours. I found a way to complete this rental safe and fast for the two of us.

Our very best,

Luca & Gabriella

At the end of his e-mail he sent me 2 pictures of him and "gabriella"

WHAT A SCAM!! WATCH OUT FOR THIS GUY!!! He is clearly scamming people in both Ontario and Alberta..... I'd like to reply to him today giving him a piece of my mind :)\
So glad I found this website... thanks guys!
#222936 by jeniknf Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:54 am
I emailed about a listing in niagara falls, I only recieved one email before I realized it was a scam

the email used is [email protected]

I'm glad to hear from you and I appreciate your interest!

Please, check your attached file, I attached a few pictures of the
place, just so you can have a better idea of what it looks like.

I'll give you some details about my property, because I'm not
looking to make a business or a profit with it, I just want to find
the proper tenant, someone who will treat and care my home, like it
was his home.
My name is John Edward McGee, I'm the owner, I love this place, it
means a lot to me.. It has been professionally finished and decorated
with a modern color scheme that coordinates throughout.. it looks
exactly like in the pictures, totally finished, fully furnished and I
have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want
to bring your own, no extra costs!
It has all the facilities and the utilities: washing machine,
dishwasher, dryer, refrigerator, stove, oven, juice machine, iron,
toaster, coffee maker, microwave, vacuum cleaner, never used stainless
steel, everything you need! Bright windows with a fresh kitchen and
bathroom.

The lease is flexible, can be month to month, min stay 3 month - max
5/6 years. The rent for 1 month is $771. The price will not increase
monthly, it will remain the same for the whole period that the
contract will be signed for.
The all utilities are included in this price (rent/month). No extra
fees! It means: water, electricity, gas, cable and Internet.
About pets.. there are no problems if you have pets, as long as you
clean up after them!

So, I want this rental to be as smooth as possible, I really need to
take care of this matter by the end of the next week.. I am looking
forward to hear from you, to send you all the details, including
application form, too.

Don't miss out, I think is a good opportunity!

Thanks again

Regards,

John

Are these the same photos hes sending other people?
#224864 by Angie1989 Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:29 pm
When it's too good to be true it usually is I'm in the process of moving back to Burlington so I put an ad on Kijiji for a one bedroom apartment I received an email from Frank Elliot letting me know that they have a one bedroom available along with that he sent pictures and he also told me that he moved to London England along with his family and he's hoping to lease the apartment in Burlington on Brant Street however he wouldn't tell me the address of the place because he's worried about being the apartment being broken into,
Nice to meet you!

I hope we can set up as soon as possible an appointment, to discuss the terms and view the apartment.

You have a nice profile and now I'm going to give you a bit of information about myself and my family, I want to give you some insight into who I am.. As I said before, I'm not looking to make a profit with it and this work to your advantage, making payments extremely easy from month to month. I'm a caring person who believes in taking good care of things!
I'm currently 34 years old, married and I work hard for my family. I'm a mature individual, very sincere, respectable and I love to meet new people. My wife is speech language pathology, her name is Amanda.

I resided in this apartment, loved every day of it, until a few months ago when I got the opportunity to open a small business in London, England. All my family moved here, I like it there, but I think it's a better market here in London.. I want to start a new life, in 4/5 years I will decide if I will keep it, and get back in town or if I will sell it and move forever in UK, you never know!

This is the second time I tried to rent it, I had a deal with somebody before, who said he will rent, only if we meet in person... I got a plane ticket, and guess what?! When I arrived there, he didn't show up! ..many people make promises and tend to not follow through, so don't get me wrong and don't take it personally, but I don't want to fall for it once more, no offence!

We can meet this weekend, I'll buy a plane ticket and I'll come in short time to discuss the terms and view the apartment, but first of all I have a small request, if you can help me.
My wife, also, has her apartment that try to give it to rent and I'd like to find a proper tenant, until this weekend, too, but I can't post an announcement from where I'm right now, (apparently I cannot place an announcement on Kijiji.ca, because I'm overseas) and I would appreciate, if you could help me!
E-mail me back and I'll give all the details about my wife's apartment and you'll create an free Ad on kijiji, just in a few minutes!

I'll wait your quick response, because I need to know if I can count on this rental with you!

I'll buy a plane ticket today or tomorrow morning and within 3 / 4 days I'll come back... this way I'll also reserve my apartment for you and refuse other offers!

Re:

#239102 by wallapaloo Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:34 pm
Looks like this guy has started these emails again. This time, under the name Michael Paulsen.
He posted a great ad for a place in downtown Toronto and I have been emailing him for the past day. Of course the unit sounds too good too be true, so I googled the emails and found myself here. Thanks for giving me a heads up before it got too far. He sent me the same original emails, here is the third one after my last reply. I have no intention of following up with him now at this point.,,

I would like to tell you a little bit about me and my family, I want to give you some insight into who I am.

I'm currently 39 years old and married. I'm very career focused and will be spending a lot of my time at the office. I work hard for my family. I'm a mature individual, very sincere, respectable and love friending new people. I'm a caring person who believes in taking good care of things!
My wife is speech language pathology, her name is Amanda and we have one daughter, Mela, that is 2 years old.
I inherited the apartment from my grandfather when he past away, I am from London, United Kingdom, so I decided to rent it.

This is the second time I tried to rent the apartment, I had a deal with somebody before who said he will rent it if I come there.. So I got a plane ticket, and guess what!? When I arrived there, he didn't show up and after 2 days he gave me a call and said that he is sorry but he can't rent it anymore, because he has no money.
It was unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view my apartment without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me.
So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally, but now I don't want to buy another plane ticket to come and fall for it once more... maybe you won't show up. I'm sick of tire-kickers, people who are just looking around and not serious about renting, so please don't waste my time... No offence!

I am the only person who has the keys, but I have a good solution if you are still interested.. You can have the keys in hands in less than 48 hours. I found a way to complete this rental safe and fast for the two of us.

Our very best,
God bless you and your family,
Michael and Amanda
#241139 by Asilcharity Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:34 pm
Watch out, he's at it again. Got this after inquiring about an apartment in Ottawa, Ontario.

"Hi Lisa,

I appreciate your interest!
 Neighbourhood are very quiet and they are very good people, the apartment is part of a condominium and one parking spot it`s available for $78 per month.

You have a nice profile and I think you could be the new tenant.. Nice to meet you!

My wife is speech language pathology, her name is Amanda and we have one daughter, Mela, that is 2 years old.
I inherited the apartment from my grandfather when he past away, I am from London, United Kingdom, so I decided to rent it.

Our very best,
God bless you and your family,
Robert and Amanda"

It was on Craigslist, I've flagged it as spam.
#317904 by DSmall Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:02 pm
He goes by Frank Gilles right now
Glad I checked this website as hw was trying to scam me and my friend.
I have aaked 4 Times for the exact address but he refuses everytime
#317908 by NOFAITH Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:27 pm
He is going by the name 'MARK DAVIS' now .. was/am in communication with me still.
E-mail address he is using currently : [email protected]
targeting the Barrie, ON area.

He will ask for you to post on his behalf as well as his wife due to his internet domain not being Canadian, therefore he cannot post from where he is (London, UK)
He states Grace is the name of his wife along with 2 daughters that 'originally' came from Barrie, ON.

E-mail being used on behalf of his wife: [email protected]
targeting Richmond Hill, ON.

*** He will not upfront ask you for money. He will gain your trust and work from there. I fell for it but thankfully avoided providing any personal information/ financial information and contacted local police in the Barrie, ON area.

I hope this helps! Stay safe fellow renters!
#no.faith.in.humanity.