Room for Rent and other rental scams
#190864 by Con Warner Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:15 pm
Date: Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:11
Subject: SM apartment
To: Con Warner

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in my apartment. My name is Pastor frederica Sauber I am the owner of the apartment you are inquiring. I resided in the apartment with my family, my husband Martins and our only daughter and presently we've moved to NEW JERSEY , United states on a new job , we are missionaries and presently the unit is available for rent for $650 per
month unfurnished or furnish including the utilities (Heat, hydro, Washer & dryer, electricity and security). With a dedicated parking space. So this is not a sublet nor guestroom.
A lovely breakfast bar and nook, and a built-in desk! The family den is perfect for movie nights, built-in cabinets, and serene view of the street. Luxurious bath with vanities, jetted tub, shower and glass block windows! We are looking for someone responsible that would take care of our apartment like theirs. Short and Long lease are welcome, cos we'll be here for a long time. I'm sorry you may not be able to see the inside of the unit right now, but the pictures of the interior i posted. You may go by the apartment to have a look of the neighborhood and environment If you'll like to take things further do get back to me so I can email you the rental application form and then we can proceed further .For further equerries call my husband on #8625793032.

BEDROOM: 1
BATHROOM: 1
RENTAL AMOUNT..........$650/per month
ADDRESS.......1053 17th Street, Santa Monica CA, 90403
PETS ALLOWED. (WELL BEHAVED)
FIRST MONTH WITH SECURITY DEPOSIT TO BE PAID TO MOVE IN.
Once again thank you for your interest. Hope to hear from you again.

Regards,
Pastor frederica Sauber

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#197151 by Jhojho Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:22 am
I received a reply email from this person. Her email address is [email protected]
She said that keys and rental documents will be FedEx ed to me after I deposit my money. I thought this is a scam. So I Google her name and got to this website.
I went by the address that was posted on craigslist. I was suspicious that the rent is only $650 including utilities and right in front of the beach. Too good to be true. It sure is.
Where do I forward the email I got and how do we notify people about this? I would really feel bad for those who fell and would fall to this kind of scam.
#197227 by HillBilly Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:57 pm
Jhojho wrote:Her email address is [email protected]

Where do I forward the email I got and how do we notify people about this?

You can copy and paste the email here, so others doing searches can find key words or phrases. That is probably the single most helpful thing you can do for others.

There isn't a place you can FWD the mail to that will look for the thieves. If you care to report them to the IC3, its a long form, but feel free. :
https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
they compile records, and use them to direct services for now and future use.