Room for Rent and other rental scams
#191683 by joncjalias Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:25 pm
I spoke with Mr. Rollings and he sounded like he was from Nigeria or African (I have several friends that are from Nigeria – so I’m not being prejudiced I just know their accents). He sent the same “generic” rental application as another person running a scam on Craigslist (Ken Miller, claiming to be a Software Engineer at BMC Software, [email protected]; cell: 786-245-4404, beware of him as well). When I asked Mr. Rollings about the application and asked for an explanation he said “he got it from a friend”. When I mentioned that I found the same listing on Craigslist (same address & apt #, same pictures, ect) and the listing was from the realtor that listed the apartment. She said it was already rented and current tenants (NOT named Rollings) were in the apartment….and NOT ALASKA as Mr. Rollings claimed, he got very defensive claiming that I was abusing him and he felt violated.
His number is also based in NY, although he claimed to live in Miami and then Alaska.
Here is the email chain that led to this alert. What’s even more amazing is that Mr. Rollings has the audacity to claim that I’m the liar here.
Here is the email chain sent by Mr. Rollings.

To: My email address
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: Spacious Fully Furnished & equipped 1bedroom & 1bathroom unit

You must be out of your mind for telling me this shit.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM, CJ <my email address> wrote:

Matt, I think you are running a scam on Craigslist.... and you are going to be turned in to the authorities....

To: CJ <my email address>
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:42 AM

Hi,

Here is the apartment address: 4142 N Jefferson Avenue APT #5A, Miami Beach, FL 33140
See attached pictures of the unit and the rental form, and the monthly rent is $1,250 includes all utilities.
An advance First month rent payment plus the Refundable security deposit shall be paid before move in.
If you will need to vacate the apartment, notice shall be given 2 - 4 weeks prior to intended day of moving.
The security deposit shall be refunded on or before the day of vacating the apartment.
Please return the filled application at your convenience, which I expect to receive the approved sublease agreement from my landlord.
I am willing to review the sublease agreement and seal a deal soon.
Call or Text (516) 406-3112

Thanks and Best Regards,
Matt Rollings

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:29 AM, CJ <my email address> wrote:

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply. I plan on arriving around March 1st timeframe and staying for 2-4 months. My wife and I have been talking about moving to Florida for several years. I recently lost my job (which is a good thing believe it or not) so we have the time to check it out for a few months before making a final decision. As I mentioned, I would pay the 1st months rent and deposit to lock in the place and then pay the rent in full for the remaining months once I arrive so there won't be an issue with being able to pay.

Please send the following information:
-Street address (no unit # necessary)
-Pics of the unit (interior and exterior)
-Your phone number (or that of your landlord) so we can speak on the phone. Alternatively, you can reach my cell phone at XXX.

Matt, I'm looking at several places and I would like to make a decision as soon as possible so please get back with me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,
Craig

To: CJ <my email address>
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:02 AM

Thanks for the email.

I got a 9 months contract to work with a major printing firm in Eagle River. I still have a 15 months lease at my Miami Beach, FL. The unit is currently vacant and locked while I'm seeking to sub-lease it out for between 1 to 9 months. The apartment is furnished with all the necessary equipment and appliances and its inclusive all the bills too. As its been difficult to find someone to sub-lease to for 12 months, I am happy to lease the apartment to you for short-term. I will not be able to show the apartment to you in person, since I'm in Eagle River, Alaska. I took some pictures of the unit before leaving and can show them to you to see if its okay and I also have the keys and documents right here with me, So you can only view the unit from outside at the moment.

I’d have actually left it vacant, but my wife advised that I must rent it out. It's One bedroom & One bathroom, fully furnished, cable TV, WiFi Internet, electricity, water and Parking are included in the monthly rent. The rent, which includes all utilities, is $1,250 per month. A Refundable damage deposit of $1,250 will be paid alongside the rent before you move in. I will like you to tell me about yourself because I am interested in knowing your capability of funding the rent and taking care of my apartment.

Please let me know if you would still like to proceed to sub-lease the unit so I can speak with the landlord for the rental form and agreement.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks and best regards,
Matt

To: [email protected]

Hello,

I saw your ad for the apartments on Craigslist. Love the pics and interested so please let me know about rates/availability. We are considering relocating to the area permanently and just wanted to check it out for a few months.

There will be three in our party, myself, my wife and two year old daughter. Our schedule is pretty flexible with anticipated arrival probably 1st/2nd week of March and staying for 2-4 months. Essentially, we are looking for 1/2 bedrooms, fully furnished with a kitchen. A pool and beach access (or close proximity to the beach) would certainly be highly preferable.

If you would like to discuss potential options my cell is XXX.

Thanks,
Craig

PS. I’ve already dealt with way toooooooooooooooooo many scammers on Craigslist. So if this is one of those listings….PLEASE don’t bother calling/emailing.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/sub/4337166432.html
Advertisement

#193190 by ohdwan Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:31 pm
Hi,

I feel so stupid. I got the exact email that he sent you. I just got scammed by this Matt Rollings for an apartment in Boston for a large sum of money. I was just so blindsided about the whole situation. I sent a police report on him and the apparent landlady named Sartreva Blacksheep-Riddle located in Window Rock, AZ. I filed a police claim to my local authorities in Houston. Please inform me if you contacted any authorities too. We need more claims.

- Olivia

This is my email chain:

To: Matt Rollings <[email protected]>
Re: Completely Equipped 1bedroom & 1bathroom Apartment

Hi,

My name is Olivia Dwan and I was interested in your apartment on Symphony Rd. I'm a 3rd year business student from Northeastern University. I actually interested only from May-August, would your place be available during those 4 months? If possible, maybe having a chance of moving in sometime late April? Thanks so much. You can contact me back via email, that would be the best way to reach me.

Thanks,
Olivia

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sub/4314172543.html

To: Me

Hi,

Thanks for the email.

I got a 9 months contract to work with a major printing firm in Eagle River. I still have a 15 months lease at my Boston, MA apartment. The unit is currently vacant and locked while I'm seeking to sub-lease it out for between 1 to 8 months. The apartment is furnished with all the necessary equipment and appliances and its inclusive all the bills too. As its been difficult to find someone to sub-lease to for the whole 8 months, I am happy to lease the apartment to you for short-term. I will not be able to show the apartment to you in person, since I'm in Eagle River, Alaska. I took some pictures of the unit before leaving and can show them to you to see if its okay and I also have the keys and documents right here with me, So you can only view the unit from outside at the moment.

I’d have actually left it vacant, but my wife advised that I must rent it out. It's One bedroom & One bathroom, fully furnished, cable TV, WiFi Internet, electricity, water and Parking are included in the monthly rent. The rent, which includes all utilities is $1,750 per month. A Refundable damage deposit of $1,750 will be paid alongside the rent before you move in. I will like you to tell me about yourself because I am interested in knowing your capability of funding the rent and taking care of my apartment.

Please let me know if you would still like to proceed to sublease the unit so I can speak with the landlord for the sublease agreement.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks and best regards,
Matt

To: Me

Here is the apartment address: 28 Symphony Road APT #5, Boston, MA 02115
See attached pictures of the unit and the rental form, and the monthly rent is $1,750 includes all utilities.
An advance First month rent payment plus the Refundable security deposit shall be paid before move in.
If you will need to vacate the apartment, notice shall be given 2 - 4 weeks prior to intended day of moving.
The security deposit shall be refunded on or before the day of vacating the apartment.
Please return the filled application at your convenience, which I expect to receive the approved sublease agreement from my landlord.
I am willing to review the sublease agreement and seal a deal soon.
Thanks and Best Regards,
Matt Rollings
Call or Text (516) 406-3112

I signed a sublet agreement form and everything and exchanged text messages with him.

If you have been scammed by him on in contact with him, it is critical to contact local authorities!!!!!
Please respond back if you have too.
#245112 by Ty Johnson Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:19 am
Thanks for the quick response,i am interested in renting your place
for the period that you have specified that it will be available
for.Since it is a nice location and i am going to rent it as i like it
.I am an easy going person and would be outdoors most of the time
during my stay in the apartment due to the research work will be doing
while i am in the states.My reason for coming to the states is because
i will be doing a private research work with the United States
Environmental Protection Agency,i will be glad to show you my contract
papers and all other documents relating to my research with them
during the summer on my arrival in your place,i am even of the opinion
that such issues can best be handled physically.

For me to move ahead and pay the deposit required to keep this
place on hold for me and the rent for this apartment before i arrive,i
have a financier in the United States and i will make arrangements
with him to issue and send you the payment to cover it.For him to
issue this check,i will need you to provide me with your full name in
which the check will be issued and your complete physical contact
address to which it will be sent to by my financier,as soon as you
provide these,i will forward it to my financier with an instruction to
issue and send you the check.Please i need you to also reconfirm the
total move in costs,that is the rent and deposit to be paid.

Due to the limited time that i have before my arrival,i will
want us to wrap up everything as regards this rental as soon as
possible so that i can be sure that i will have a place to stay on my
arrival in the states. As regards the lease agreement,if there is
any,i want you to send it to me for my review,i will eventually have
it filled and signed on my arrival in your place and i will abide by
it.If you need to reach me for more information,you can always reach
me on +44 7031914059 ,please dial as presented for international
calls.

I will look forward to your e mail with the required information.

Thank you.

Zhang Fung
Phone #:+44 7031914059