Room for Rent and other rental scams
#27323 by phoebelin84 Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:20 pm
Hello ,

My name is Natalie Brown and I received your email of interest for the rental of my apartment located in

Eppendorfer Weg 12, 20259 Hamburg.
I am a research engineer for a pharmaceutical company and I bought the apartment while working on a 4 year contract

in Germany as an alternative to renting . I the only owner of the apartment , the apartment is paid in full and

with no legal problems . The apartment is not inhabited since I am no longer living in Germany .You could be my

second tenants .
My intention is to rent the apartment to nice , clean people and in order to do that I would like to know a little

something about you , like how many persons do you intend to live in my apartment,do you have a steady income ,etc

. I must tell you from the beginning that I don't have a problem if you are a student and I don't have a problem

with pets (I own a little dog myself) and I appreciate sincerity .
Also here is a little something about the apartment and myself so we can get to know each other.
The apartment is the one in the pictures but the furniture has been moved into my private storage room . If you

don't have furniture I can take it back with no extra costs for you .
The rent for 1 month is 700 Eur (for the entire apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet,

cable, parking, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, private washing machine).

You can rent the flat for any period of time (open end contract).
About myself, I am 44 years old and as I told you I am a research engineer for pharmaceutical products , currently

living in Liverpool , my home town .
You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m already in

Liverpool but I hope that we shall find a solution.

Thank you for your interest and looking forward to a future collaboration and friendship.

Best regards,

Natalie Brown
Advertisement

#27325 by Chris Fuller Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:26 pm
Hello phoebelin, and welcome to ScamWarners.

Thank you for posting this (and the previous) email from a scammer, which will be helpful in warning other people about these scams.

Can you add the email address that these scammers are using? If you can also post the headers from the emails, they may also be useful in showing where the scammers are really located and writing from.

Thank you for your contributions.
#28372 by gvpadilha Mon May 10, 2010 5:48 pm
Hello, i'm posting this as I think is of everyone interest. I received the very same email, after responding to an apartment rental ad in Lisbon, Portugal! In my case, the "owner" is Anna Rosenberg, and "her" email is [email protected]. As the email came from gmail, I dont think it's possible to get the sender's ip from the header. Using one of gmail's labs features, what I got is the time zone, case it's GMT-12:00. In any case, here it is:

"Delivered-To: <my email address>
Received: by 10.213.108.69 with SMTP id e5cs138523ebp; Mon, 10 May 2010
10:33:11 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: [email protected]
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected]
designates 10.227.143.149 as permitted sender) client-ip=10.227.143.149;
Authentication-Results: mr.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of
[email protected] designates 10.227.143.149 as permitted sender)
[email protected]; dkim=pass
[email protected]
Received: from mr.google.com ([10.227.143.149]) by 10.227.143.149 with SMTP id
v21mr4101446wbu.125.1273512790255 (num_hops = 1); Mon, 10 May 2010 10:33:10
-0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to
:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type;
bh=
b=q
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to
:content-type;
b=
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: by 10.227.143.149 with SMTP id v21mr4101446wbu.125.1273512790245;
Mon, 10 May 2010 10:33:10 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.216.171.83 with HTTP; Mon, 10 May 2010 10:33:10 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
References: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 05:33:10 -1200
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_Consulta_=2D_an=FAncio_em_Adoos?=
To: <my email address>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=0016e659f7fc7ac410048640cd9c

From what I read in another forum, they try to convince the tenant to send money in advance so they can send the keys, and use moneybookers.com to handle the transaction. Sorry if this old news, I hope this info can help.

Removed some domain keys to make it easier to read - Ralph
#28379 by Ralph Mon May 10, 2010 10:47 pm
Hi gvpadilha, welcome to Scamwarners,

Thank you for posting about this scam.

Unfortunately you are quite correct, header information is not of much use to us from gmail.

Generally, the intended victim is asked for money in advance of seeing the place or receiving anything from the scammer, I am not sure about them using moneybookers.com but it is not unusual for them to involve another character that may or may not have a fake website.

The person you are refered to may be the same scammer if not his accomplice but they will certainly be part of the scam.

If there are any websites you have been refered to please post them complete with the header and we ecan pass them on to those who deal with fraudulent website for closure