Room for Rent and other rental scams
#195971 by Kosar Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:55 am
Hello I sent this to the conwarner email but wanted to post it in this forum as well.

I recently received and responded to what was clearly a scam listing on Craigslist. I input the +234-703-485-5829 into Google and came across one of your posts regarding a similar scam involveing a $700 monthly rent from the same phone number. I've pasted their initial response below. Unfortunately, I had responded back with some information to them just moments before I pieced together the fishiness of the actual phone number.

I didn't divulge anything of a financial nature outside of a screengrab from freecreditreport.com showing my credit score. I don't think they can really glean anything from that outside of my actual credit score and my "member ID" which doesn't really get them anywhere. I've since changed my username and password for that site. I did; however, leave a lengthy email full of personal details, such as...
-where I work
-my work schedule
-my age
-my real email
-my name
-my current address
-my personal history (where i was born, grew up, college, employment timelines)
-my cell phone number
-the aforementioned credit score screengrab

The irony of all this is that I went through the trouble of setting up a dummy email address for myself to use to avoid scammers. Only to end up giving him my actual email in a naive response. New York City real estate will make smart people do some truly dumb things. I've since deleted my dummy email account and set up a filter at my primary email to delete any messages from the below scammer email account. I assume they'll call at some point but I never answer strange numbers anyhow.

Do you think I should be concerned with the information this person(s) currently has?

Thank you so much for all the work you do and I hope this helps you in your efforts.
Advertisement

#195972 by Kosar Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:56 am
Here's the actual scam email.

Date: Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: Apartment for Rent
To: Removed (BW)

Hello,
PEACE BE WITH YOU.
Thanks for your interest in my apartment,its very much available for rent. I am sure you would be asking yourself why my rent is low, that's because am not too keen about the rent amount but to whom i am renting the apartment out to. My intention is to rent my apartment to someone that is responsible,neat and ready to take great care of the apartment as if it were his or hers. I am very certain that you would love the comfy of the apartment, it is available for immediate move-in.
I would like you to know that i am giving this home out for rent because i am among the missionaries posted to West Africa to work for God and would spend couple of years before i would be through with my assignment here. So my family and i have decided that we would be moving to our other home in Seattle, Washington when we get back to the states,i would like you to complete the tenant application form below and please be honest with these details to enable us choose the right tenant.

Rent Per Month: $700 (Including Utilities)
Security Deposit: $700 (Refundable)
Beds: 1
Baths: 1
Sqft: 600
Lot: --
Type: multi Family
Year built: --
Parking: --
Availability: now
Lease term: OneYear
Cooling: --
Utilities included: Water, Sewage, Garbage
High-speed internet ready: Yes
Onsite laundry: Yes
Disability access:
High Ceilings
Stainless Steel Appliances
Large Kitchen,
Brand New Cabinets,
Electric Cooker,
dish washer & Refrigerator
Heat and hot water,
Washer and Dryer in the apartment also.
COMPLETE THE TENANT APPLICATION FORM BELOW:
FIRST NAME:_________
MIDDLE NAME:_________________
LAST NAME:__________________
SEX:________________
PROFESSION:________________
MARITAL STATUS____________
TIME ON YOUR JOB:______
PHONE NUMBERS
(CELL)PHONE_____
(WORK)PHONE____
(HOME)PHONE_____
KIDS___ (YES/NO), HOW MANY_____
PRESENT ADDRESS:____
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING?_______
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?________
HOW SOON CAN YOU MAKE THE DEPOSIT?______
IF YOU HAVE A PET?_____-
DO YOU SMOKE?______________
DO YOU DRINK?_________
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHTS____
After i have received these details above,myself and my wife will let you know our terms and how we would conclude the Lease process so you can move into the apartment asap,feel free to call me anytime on my cell number: +234-703-485-5829.
I hope to hear from you soonest.
God Bless you richly,
Wilson Mcpherson