Room for Rent and other rental scams
#27449 by Michelle Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:34 am
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 07:35:57 -0400
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: 2 bedroom flat to rent in Chelsea Harbour, Chelsea, SW10
To: Michelle

The flat is still available for rent.The rent is £550 per month (for the whole flat) including all bills and the council tax. I've moved to Berlin, Germany because I'm working in petrol research industry. You can rent the flat as long as you need to stay, even for 2 or 3 years. The first payment will be ensured for 2 months (£1100). If you still want it, let me know so we can arrange the transaction.

Thank you,
Harry Cather

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: 2 bedroom flat to rent in Chelsea Harbour, Chelsea, SW10
To: Michelle
Hello,

In order for me to come to London and show you the flat and maybe sign the contract, I want to know if you have money available for the 2 months upfront payment(1100 GBP) because as I've told you in my previous email, I have a busy schedule and it's very hard for me to come to UK. I can't take the risk to leave my new job for a couple of days and travel all the distance for nothing. I want to be 100% sure that when we'll meet, it might be a chance that we'll do the rent papers and return to Germany.
So here is what I want you to do: You need to arrange the payment from a trustworthy person close to you name and address to your name and address in UK, using WesterUnion Service, for 2 months rent, that means 1,100 GBP and send me the scanned receipt. As soon as I see the scanned receipt as a proof that you've made the payment, I will fly to UK and you will see the flat and maybe rent it if you like. After that, we will go together at the WesterUnion office and you will take the money back and pay me.
All you have to do is to find a WesterUnion office, take a friend of yours, wire 1,100 GBP from your friend's name to your name and send me the scanned receipt. I am asking you this to be sure that I won't be traveling to UK for nothing. Hope you can understand my situation.

P.S : I have plenty of customers interested to rent the apartment. I will reserve the apartment to the first one that provides me the proof the funds are available. As soon as I have the confirmation from WesterUnion that the money are available on your name, I'll cancel the transaction with the others.

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement