Room for Rent and other rental scams
#27580 by Michelle Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:04 am
To: Michelle
Subject: RE: Reply to your ad: 2 bedroom flat to rent in Cleveland Square, Bayswater, W2
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010
Hello
Thank you for your interest.
My name is David Clayton ,I inherited the apartment from my father in 2007. I never lived in that apartment because my mother and father were divorced and I was raised by my mother in Denmark.I renovate the apartment and I tried to sell it but I couldn't get a fair price for it so I decided together with my mother to rent it to some nice people.
I would appreciate a tenant who would keep the house in a good condition.
I can rent you the flat for 5 years, and, if after the five years you would like to stay more, then we can extend the contract. I can also rent it for shorter periods (2 months minimum). The photos are actual and real.
My asking price is GBP 800 per month + bills and council taxes estimated at GBP 100.
Just to mention few, it includes:
Cold/hot water, electricity, wireless Internet, digital TV, parking, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine
The caution is 900 GBP, and you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment (with a 10 days notice)
An advance payment of one month and security deposit shall be paid after viewing (1800 GBP).
You can use my furniture, or you can use your own. You have access to a large cellar, very spacious and well ventilated where you can store any unnecessary pieces of furniture.
Please let me know what your intentions are....when you intend to move in?how long you want the contract to last for?you will stay alone or you will have a flatmate?and some other things you feel i should know.

Waiting to read from you.

Regards

To: Michelle
Subject: RE: Reply to your ad: 2 bedroom flat to rent in Cleveland Square, Bayswater, W2
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:41:39 +0000

Hello,

I have a busy schedule and it's very hard for me to come in UK. I can't take the risk to leave my new job for couple of days and when I arrive in UK to find out that I came for nothing. I want to be 100% sure that when we'll meet,it might be a chance that we'll do the rent papers and return to Denmark.

For this reason I want to complete this deal in the safest way possible, for both.

You'll have to arrange the payment for your best friend's name and address in UK, using WesternUnion Service, for 1
month rent and security depozit that means 1800 GBP and send me the scanned receipt. As soon as I see the scanned receipt as a proof that you've made the payment, I will fly to UK and you will see the flat and maybe rent it if you like. After that, we will go together at the WesternUnion office and you will take the money back and pay me.

All you have to do is to find a WesternUnion office, and wire 1800 GBP to your friend's name and address from UK and send me the scanned receipt. I am asking you this to be sure that I do not come in UK for nothing. Hope you can understand my situation.

P.S : I have plenty customers interested to rent the apartment. I will reserve the apartment to the first one that provides me the scanned paper from WesternUnion. As soon as I have the confirmation from WesternUnion that the money are available on your name, I'll cancel the transaction with the others.

I look forward to hearing from you!

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement