Room for Rent and other rental scams
#27600 by Michelle Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:20 pm
To: Michelle
Subject: RE: Reply to your ad: 2 bed flat to rent,Queensborough Terrace, Bayswater, W2
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:08:57 +0000

Hi,I have the flat for rent.
The rent is 700£ per month including all bills and the concil tax.
I moved in Ireland because I got a new job. I work in a hospital. You can rent the flat as long as you need to stay even for 2 or 3 years.
The first payment will be for 2 months(1400£).
In case you want it, let me know so we can arrange the transaction.
For me is very hard to come in UK and if I will come i must be 100% sure that I will not come for nothing.
As you can see in the photos everything it's new in the flat and the flat is fully furnished, newly refurbished and also benefits from wood flooring.
- Toilet and Bathroom with Shower
- Kitchen with modern fittings
- Dish washer/Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Cable TV
- Wired Internet connection
-important parking place.
Please let me know what your intentions are....when you intend to move in?how long you want the contract to last for?how many people would be living in it and some other things you feel i should know.

I hope not a problem and understand my english that because I non-English

Get back to me

Regards

To: Michelle
Subject: RE: Reply to your ad: 2 bed flat to rent,Queensborough Terrace, Bayswater, W2
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:44:12 +0000

Hi again,
I work in a hospital and is very hard for me to come in UK. I can't take the risk to leave my new job .Three days
ago I was in London to meet with a client but when I arrived in London he never respond to my e`mails and now i need
be sure 100 % before i come in London we do the rent papers then i can come back in Ireland.
So i can be sure of that look how we can do:
You make the payment from your name and address to your best friend name and address in UK using Western Union for 2
months rent that means 1400 £ and send me the scanned receipt. As soon as I see the scanned receipt that you have
made the payment, I will come in UK and you will see the flat and maybe rent it. After that, we will go together at
the Western Union office and you will take the money back and pay me.So all you have to do is to find a Western
Union office and wire 1400 £ from your name to your friend name and send the scanned receipt. I am asking you this
to be sure that I do not come in UK for nothing.When you will go to the WesternUnion Office to wire the money
sometimes they ask you why are you doing that and if you tell them you want make the payment for rent a flat when
pick up the money you must pay another fees and for don't pay another money you must tell to WesternUnion you will
send the money to a person how need the money or you make it a gift,(i think you don`t want pay more money for
this).I will reserve the apartment to the first one that provides me have money available in WesternUnion account.
The WesternUnion transfer fee i will pay you back cash when we meet to show you the flat.
As soon as I have the confirmation from WesternUnion that the money are available on his name I stop the
transactions with all the other customers.You must understand correctly the situation you don't need send me any
money,penny ,only prove that have the money until the day you want to see the apartment for keep this flat for you ,
this is my warranty.
I expect your decision about this if you want rent my flat because i have more people interested in rented
apartment.
Thank you for your time !
Regards.

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement