Room for Rent and other rental scams
#200892 by Leyla11 Sat May 10, 2014 12:46 am
Hi all, new user here, I'm Removed (BW) from Italy.
I'm looking for a flat in London and guess what, I found a scam.
This ad is still on loot.com
It was...well too good to be true. Since I'm always suspicious, I ran a Google search on the name and I found this forum!

I'm not even replying to his e-mail.

Ciao from Milan (where rentals are very expensive!)
Removed (BW)

Il giorno 09/mag/2014, alle ore 22:43, Roy Allen <[email protected]> ha scritto:

Hello
Thanks for your mail. I am a very young comfortable professional,26 who works in a recording company as a studio manager.I would like to rent out a double bedroom Garden Flat with Broad Band Internet to a very easy going person at 150 per week including all bills ,available now for you to occupy.not shared apartment..My apartment is very comfortable fully furnished studio flat .Located in quiet residential area ,is fully furnished with digital home cinema, hi-fi system, VCR, player, phone, fax, computer, cable/satellite, internet access, wardrobe, cupboard, Hanging wardrobe, safe deposit box, radio alarm clock, hair dryer, fully air-conditioned, central heating, intruder alarm, fire alarm and more. Large fully equipped kitchen, toilet and unlimited wireless internet.
I dont want any problem for myself.., i need to know the person that will occupy my apartment that is, the person that willl take care of my apartment like theirs because am letting the flat out because am presently in manchester working. It is not compulsory that i rent out the flat but if i can get a reliable and tidy person that will take care of my flat for me i can let it out.so i need to know them better i.e what you and your partner do for a living.

Rent Includes

Electricity
Gas
Water Charge
Council Tax
Lease
internet

Waiting to read from you
Advertisement

#216410 by Miss L Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:51 pm
thank u everyone for putting this info out there!

I have just received the same email tonight, after sending my expression of interest on loot.com.

scammer!
#216412 by Bryon Williams Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:19 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Miss L,

I am happy to hear you avoided the scam.

Was the email address the same as posted or did he use a different email address and name?

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#216976 by mcbeeching Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:36 pm
Can I just check --- I have just received the same email, but how do you know it is a scam? has someone actually gone to view the flat and it turn out bad?

Or is he just copy and pasting his previous email instead of writing it all again to each person who enquires.

I would really love your feedback!
#216984 by Bryon Williams Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:18 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners mcbeeching,

The scammer has no flat to rent. He is a scammer. He wants to steal your money. He sends the same script to everyone. He may change to location of the flat but it is still a scam.

He will tell you that he is away and can not show you the flat. You can only see it from the outside. He tells you this because he does not own the flat.

The scammer will promise to send you keys after you have sent him some money via Western Union, Money Gram and etc.

Sometimes the scammer will ask you to send money to yourself, friend or relative to prove that you are interested. He will want you to give him information on the transfer. The scammer then will pick up the money himself.

The writing earlier in this thread is of an African someone not familiar with English writing.

If you can not physically go inside a flat a view it. Consider it a scam. Never send money to anyone you never met face to face.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#219876 by twenty7kisses Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:48 pm
I got the same email to which i replied and got the following response! I found it strange because the information he was requesting was mostly what I had already mentioned and plus the story of morgon seemed too weird so I ran a google search and found this thread :( Its true: if something seems too good to be true, it probably is!

Here's what he wrote:

Thanks for the reply.I would love to meet you, get to know you and show you round the flat so that you can see what you are renting but I have been having problems with time wasters who could not keep to there end of deal.Its really time wasting because i am a very busy person and do not really have much time to waste. To me, every seconds count.because i am presently in the studio doing some live recording and icant make or recieve calls due to the nature of my job,but have my Laptop here to reply to emails.viewing will not be a problem, Anytime during the week in the evening would be a good date for our meeting.
The rent is still very Low considering the current economic climate in London..

Can you please answer the following questions?
-Are you really serious about the renting the flat?
How many are you to occupy the Flat?.
-If you love the flat when you see it, will you make the payment to hold it against your move in?

why I am asking these questions is basically because of my experience with my last tenant. Morgan moved into my flat in JUNE:2010,on commencing the tenancy, he paid a total sum of £537.50 in rent hoping that he would pay up the balance unknowingly he provided a fraudulent employers reference to convince me of having a stable job!
Although i served him with Section 8 and Section 21 Notices and obtained a Court Order for possession of the property, he was reluctant to move out or pay any of the rent arrears.County Court bailiffs got him evicted and his total debt to date is £1,263. (Quite much).
I will prepare all the necessary documentations i:e Contract Form:which we will both sign after being satisfied with the flat.
Payment will be made after signing the contracts and keys will be handed over to you once contract is made.
Please,understand that i am NOT asking you to pay me BEFORE you view the flat.The neighborhood is safe and i guess you have heard much about this area?it is a safe, clean area.

-Your rent begins on your move in date..
-Viewing is never a problem.
-Proof of ownership and Documentation will be shown upon viewings.
-There is no minimum or maximum stay.
- Rent include Council Tax,electricity,gas,internet, e.t.c
-Its 600pcm and 600 refundable deposit.

Kindly get back to me about an idea on what we can do so that we can arrange a meeting for viewing.

Thanks while hoping to read from you.
Regards
#220960 by Utopia13 Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:19 pm
Hi Guys I received the same email from him, this time is still Roy Allen ([email protected]) I feel lucky that I checked in google to find out this form, so there is no one in this form has ever viewed this flat ??

if anyone did let me know I hate those scammers, I was almost been scammed about 16000 today, by someone says he is the landlord but he does not have a ID and a proof to say he has the right to rent the flat, but be aware he took me viewed a really nice flat.
#233230 by ular Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:28 pm
I'm very glad I've checked :?

It seems like he's still doing this scam

I saw the advert on loot and he just e-mailed me this

Thanks for the reply.I would love to meet you, get to know you and show you round the flat so that you can see what you are renting but I have been having problems with time wasters who could not keep to there end of deal.Its really time wasting because i am a very busy person and do not really have much time to waste. To me, every seconds count.because i am presently in the studio doing some live recording and icant make or recieve calls due to the nature of my job,but have my Laptop here to reply to emails.viewing will not be a problem, Anytime during the week in the evening would be a good date for our meeting.
The rent is still very Low considering the current economic climate in London..

Can you please answer the following questions?
-Are you really serious about the renting the flat?
How many are you to occupy the Flat?.
-If you love the flat when you see it, will you make the payment to hold it against your move in?

why I am asking these questions is basically because of my experience with my last tenant. Morgan moved into my flat in JUNE:2013,on commencing the tenancy, he paid a total sum of £537.50 in rent hoping that he would pay up the balance unknowingly he provided a fraudulent employers reference to convince me of having a stable job!
Although i served him with Section 8 and Section 21 Notices and obtained a Court Order for possession of the property, he was reluctant to move out or pay any of the rent arrears.County Court bailiffs got him evicted and his total debt to date is £1,263. (Quite much).
I will prepare all the necessary documentations i:e Contract Form:which we will both sign after being satisfied with the flat.
Payment will be made after signing the contracts and keys will be handed over to you once contract is made.
Please,understand that i am NOT asking you to pay me BEFORE you view the flat.The neighborhood is safe and i guess you have heard much about this area?it is a safe, clean area.

-Your rent begins on your move in date..
-Viewing is never a problem.
-Proof of ownership and Documentation will be shown upon viewings.
-There is no minimum or maximum stay.
- Rent include Council Tax,electricity,gas,internet, e.t.c
-Its 600pcm and 600 refundable deposit.

Kindly get back to me about an idea on what we can do so that we can arrange a meeting for viewing.

Thanks while hoping to read from you.
Regards,

I will also report him to loot
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.
#235946 by Messi180912 Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:33 am
Bryon Williams wrote:Welcome to Scamwarners mcbeeching,

The scammer has no flat to rent. He is a scammer. He wants to steal your money. He sends the same script to everyone. He may change to location of the flat but it is still a scam.

He will tell you that he is away and can not show you the flat. You can only see it from the outside. He tells you this because he does not own the flat.

The scammer will promise to send you keys after you have sent him some money via Western Union, Money Gram and etc.

Sometimes the scammer will ask you to send money to yourself, friend or relative to prove that you are interested. He will want you to give him information on the transfer. The scammer then will pick up the money himself.

The writing earlier in this thread is of an African someone not familiar with English writing.

If you can not physically go inside a flat a view it. Consider it a scam. Never send money to anyone you never met face to face.

Hi, but is it Money Gram and Western Union have to check the ID of receiver before transfer the money?
I received the email from this guy too, and unfortunately I haven't check if he scammer or not. I already sent the receipt with the money transfer with the receiver was my sister name.

What can I do now?
#235977 by Bryon Williams Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:47 pm
^^^ In most cases you do not need an ID to pick up Western Union or Moneygram. All you need is the 10 digit MTCN (Western Union) or 8 digit Reference number (Moneygram).

If ID is required the scammer will use a corrupt agent to pick up the money or use a fake ID.

If you sent the MTCN or Reference Number then you need to call the number on the receipt. Check to see if it has been picked up. If not. Get your money back.

Do not rent an apt if you can not see the inside of it nor meet the landlord face to face.

Rental Scams viewtopic.php?f=39&t=12278

#236257 by LBB92 Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:12 am
Hi. I have also received an email from Roy and, since I was already scammed once, I googled it and found his name here. Now I never trust when they ask for any transfer before viewing the apartment, even if they say it's for a friend because moneygram and western union don't have much security unfortunately...
#238649 by Michelle Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:12 am
Date: Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 5:26 AM
Subject: suggestion
To: Michelle Banks

I really appreciate your response but i do not want to stand on peoples promise of paying me cash or cheque when we meet again because i have met with time wasters who will only want to view and do not keep to there end of deal as regards payment if they are satisfied but will only want to look at all the beautiful flats around London. I am not ready to wait till a months time before any payment.
I was discussing with my colleague about the idea on how i will be so sure that i will not be disappointed this time around and she advised that we can work out something via MONEYGRAM.I have never used MONEYGRAM before but a bit familiar with it. She explained that it is a very fast way of sending and receiving money as she has used it a couple of times for renting out her flat. She said that MONEYGRAM can actually hold the money as an evidence and surety that her tenant will pay her at least for the first month and deposit. that you should tell your nephew MOTHER to locate any MONEYGRAM outlet close to HER, to send one month rent of 600 +refundable deposit 600 pounds in your HER name to your nephew name in your present address or you tell your MOTHER to send the money to your nephew name..

I WILL EXPLAIN TO YOU:

PROCEDURE...
1) Transfer the money, a month rent 600 + refundable deposit of 600 (Senders name =your nephew MOTHER name)
to your nephew name (Receiver) in London.
2) Scan & Send a copy of the MONEYGRAM transaction receipt as a proof of the transaction for confirmation on the MONEYGRAM customer care line if the money is really available for any of you to pick up when i arrive in london.If you do not have access to a Scanner,you can aswell send me details to confirm on

3) When we meet,i will meet you and take you to the flat for proper viewing
4)If you decide to take it both of us will go to any local MONEYGRAM office close to my flat & you'll pick up your money to pay me.
5)Keys will be handed over to you after signing the contracts.

In order for me to be on a good side,you can go ahead and make the transaction since you have the money ready,let me know immediately you do the transaction.
I am pretty sure that the transaction at MONEYGRAM office will require some charges,i will definitely refund the transaction charges back to you upon viewing whether you decide to rent or not.
But,i will only rely on your honesty that you have made the transaction before making my way down for proper viewing.
Please,understand that i am NOT asking you to pay me BEFORE you view the flat as payment is done AFTER viewing and Signing of contracts. I only want to be sure that i am not going to waste my time this time around and i think with this conditions,both of us can be sure we are not wasting our times.Let me know if you are okay with this so that we can proceed.Thanks so much while i will be waiting to read from you.Looking forward to meet you and be great friends eventually.

Does that sound reasonable? other months rent will be paid directly into my bank account.
PS:I am sorry for the lengthy mail.I only want to explain myself better.

Waiting to read back from you