Room for Rent and other rental scams
#207831 by Lais18 Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:21 am
Hello Everyone! I saw this "too good to be true" apt in NYC, on craigslist, so I emailed the guy already thinking it was a scam. But he did not send me the typical "missionary work" story but it still seems to be off, here is the email: (thank you for your help!!)

On 26/06/2014, at 08:52 p.m., "craigslist 4510140728" <[email protected]> wrote:

I just send you more pictures of the apartment, yea parking space and all utilities are included in the price, sorry i cant give you the contact of the current tenant because i have a private policy for my tenants, it is located at 114 West 86th Street, New York, the apartment is 800 SqFt, I will personally be there on the 2nd but you will need to book the apartment if you really need it and if you want me to hold the apartment also reserve it for you alone under your name cause you are not the only person interested in the apartment and I'm sure you know how business goes, it first come first serve. So if any person book the apartment i will surely reserve the apartment for the person alone under his name as the next guest in the apartment. Let me know if you will like to move forward with the apartment.

Best

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Turnkey One Bedroom Apartment
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 20:38:48 +0200

Hi Garner,
Yes, we are very much interested and more pics would be wonderful. Also a few more questions,
1. Are utilities included, if not approximately how much is the electric,gas,water,heat,trash,sewage;any other utilities?
2. May I contact the current tenant?
3. The address of the apartment?
4. How many sq.ft is the apt?

Thanks again!

On 26/06/2014, at 07:21 p.m., "craigslist 4510140728" <[email protected]> wrote:

The apartment is available for viewing starting from July 2nd at 5pm cause there is a guest in the apartment. So the guest will move out on the July 1st and there is nothing to share with anybody. Kindly let me know if you will like to see more pictures of the apartment and you can even walk through the apartment building for now to see the neighborhood also let me know if you are really serious to rent the apartment.

Thanks

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 13:10:58 +0200

Hi Garner,
Everything sounds fantastic, when is the apartment available for a viewing?
Thank you!

On 26/06/2014, at 01:08 a.m., "craigslist 4510140728" <[email protected]> wrote:

Yea, cats are allowed in the apartment, Thanks

Garner

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 01:03:49 +0200

Are cats allowed?

On 26/06/2014, at 12:29 a.m., "craigslist 4510140728" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi

Thanks for your interest in my property and It's a private property. the property is very much available for your dates, it is furnished, it has Air Conditioning, laundry, cable TV, wireless internet connection and Wi Fi Hi Speed internet, linen, towels, Electric Stove and gas cook, Towels Provided, Linens Provided, Hair Dryer, Heating, This Apt is Available for a Long Term and Short term Lease, and it is also available for month to month Lease.

Price Per Month: 1500
Refundable Security Deposit: $500

Thanks

> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Turnkey One Bedroom Apartment
> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 22:33:24 +0200
>
>
> Hello,
> I would like to know more about this apartment. What are the deposits? Are cats allowed? How long is the lease agreement for?
> Thankyou
> Lois
>
> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sub/4510140728.html
Advertisement

#207833 by Mike Wilson Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:12 am
Hello Lais18 and welcome to Scamwarners,
It is a scam. The rent for that address in New York is nearly twice what this scammer is asking. The image posted in the ad is stolen from a rental listing in California.
If you have any additional questions about this scam please ask.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#214024 by juliahearts Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:45 am
Hey there, sorry to bump this but I figured it could help some other people out. I go to school in the City and I'm currently looking for an apartment and I found an amAZING place but upon reading this thread, it has to be fake. The person used the same wording as they did for the listing above....

The apartment is available for viewing starting from Aug 25th at 5pm cause there is a guest in the apartment. So the guest will move out on the Aug 24th and there is nothing to share with anybody. Kindly let me know if you will like to see more pictures of the apartment and you can even walk through the apartment building for now to see the neighborhood also let me know if you are really serious to rent the apartment.

Thanks

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi there! Yes, I am very interested in your apartment. My exact move in date would be August 26th 2014 and my move out date would be May 30th 2015, if that works out for you. Just a quick question, just to be fully sure, the whole entire apartment will be furnished, correct? (couch, bed, table, chairs, etc?) Thank you!

This sounds super sketchy too:
Thanks for your interest in my property once again, if you are really serious to rent my apartment and you want me to reserve it for you alone under your name then you will need to fill the lease form and make a deposit of Full month rent fee plus security deposit, so total will be $2000..once you secure my Apt make sure you bring the copy of the lease form and payment receipt on your checking date, so that i can verify you cause i will personally check you In and hand over the keys to you myself...if you are ready i will need your full name and your exactly move in and move out date so that i can prepare the lease form and email or Fax it to you.

Listing here: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sub/4607271757.html

Too bad these listings weren't real! I thought it was legit considering the price was pretty high/standard for a studio that small, but sigh, I don't think it is.
#214078 by HillBilly Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:23 pm
juliahearts wrote:This sounds super sketchy too:
Thanks for your interest in my property once again, if you are really serious to rent my apartment and you want me to reserve it for you alone under your name then you will need to fill the lease form and make a deposit of Full month rent fee plus security deposit, so total will be $2000..once you secure my Apt make sure you bring the copy of the lease form and payment receipt on your checking date, so that i can verify you cause i will personally check you In and hand over the keys to you myself...if you are ready i will need your full name and your exactly move in and move out date so that i can prepare the lease form and email or Fax it to you.

Listing here: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sub/4607271757.html

Too bad these listings weren't real! I thought it was legit considering the price was pretty high/standard for a studio that small, but sigh, I don't think it is.

I've colored the give away that it is a scam. No real landlord ( In the US anyhow) would ask for a deposit without you seeing the place first. Either they or an agent of the landlord must show you the place before deposit is given. Even when they say they have an agent, be sure to double and triple check that someone hasn't just stolen keys for someone else's home. Check methods vary state to state.