Room for Rent and other rental scams
#218992 by Michelle Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:41 pm
Date: September 13, 2014 at 9:34:43 AM PDT
To: Michelle Banks
Subject: Re:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in my apartment. My name is James Johnson, I am the owner of the apartment you are inquiring. I resided in the apartment with my family, my wife Evelyn and our only daughter and presently we've moved to Mississippi, United states on a new job placement with Microsoft Corp and presently the unit is available for rent for $600 per month unfurnished including the utilities (Heat, hydro, Washer&dryer, electricity and security). With a dedicated parking space. So this is not a sublet nor guestroom.

A lovely breakfast bar and nook, and a built-in desk! The family den is perfect for movie nights, built-in cabinets, and serene view of the street. Luxurious bath with his/hers vanities, jetted tub, separate shower and glass block windows!

We are looking for someone responsible that would take care of our apartment like theirs. Short and Long lease are welcome, cos we'll be here for a long time. I'm sorry you may not be able to see the inside of the unit right now, but the pictures of the interior i posted. You may go by the apartment to have a look of the neighborhood and environment If you'll like to take things further do get back to me with your email address so I can email you the rental application form and then we can proceed further.You can text or call me on (831)920-3597.

Please click on the link to view the pictures of the apartment http://myapartmentpics.imgur.com/all/
PS: Use the link on a computer because it might not work with your phone browser.

BEDROOM: 1
BATHROOM: 1
RENTAL AMOUNT...........$600/per month
SECURITY DEPOSIT........$500
ADDRESS........ 4100 Arch Drive, Studio City CA 91604
PETS ALLOWED. (WELL BEHAVED)
FIRST MONTH WITH SECURITY DEPOSIT TO BE PAID TO MOVE IN.

Once again thank you for your interest. Hope to hear from you again.

Regards,

James Johnson

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#221839 by bakmeowari Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:24 pm
I received the same info just a different apt. thank you for posting this.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in my apartment. My name is James Johnson, I am the owner of the apartment you are inquiring. I resided in the apartment with my family, my wife Evelyn and our only daughter and presently we've moved to Mississippi, United states on a new job placement with Microsoft Corp and presently the unit is available for rent for $600 per month unfurnished including the utilities (Heat, hydro, Washer&dryer, electricity and security). With a dedicated parking space. So this is not a sublet nor guestroom.

A lovely breakfast bar and nook, and a built-in desk! The family den is perfect for movie nights, built-in cabinets, and serene view of the street. Luxurious bath with his/hers vanities, jetted tub, separate shower and glass block windows!

We are looking for someone responsible that would take care of our apartment like theirs. Short and Long lease are welcome, because we'll be here for a long time. I'm sorry you may not be able to see the inside of the unit right now, but the pictures of the interior i posted. You may go by the apartment to have a look of the neighborhood and environment If you'll like to take things further do get back to me with your email address so I can email you the rental application form and then we can proceed further. You can text or call me on (831)920-3597

Please click on the link to view the pictures of the apartment: http://myapartmentpics.imgur.com/all/
PS: Use the link on a computer because it might not work with your phone browser.

BEDROOM: 1
BATHROOM: 1
RENTAL AMOUNT...........$600/per month
SECURITY DEPOSIT........$500
ADDRESS........ 204 Belmont Ave, Long Beach, CA 90803
PETS ALLOWED. (WELL BEHAVED)
FIRST MONTH WITH SECURITY DEPOSIT TO BE PAID TO MOVE IN.

Once again thank you for your interest. Hope to hear from you again.

Regards,

James Johnson
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.