Room for Rent and other rental scams
#219389 by Michelle Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:16 am
Date: Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: Clean One Bedroom Luxury Condo
To: Michelle Banks

Hello , thank you for your interest in our apartment, as the unit is still available for long and short term purpose. Just a couple of weeks ago, me and my family relocated to West Africa due to my recent appointment as a Missionary. Never the less, our only concern is to find a good and responsible tenant that will maintain and govern our apartment very well in our absence(The reason for the price been cheap). We want it to be clean and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were his or her own.
So i hope you will promise us to take very good care of the house as the rent fee includes all utilities. kindly get back to me on how you could take care of our Apartment and perhaps share your experience in renting home.

I have attached pictures of the apartment for you to view, please do fill the application form below;

RENT APPLICATION FORM
1)Your Full Name?
2)Your Full Address & Phone Number?
3)How old are you?
4)Are you married?
5)How many people will be living in the house?
6)Do you have a pet?
7)Do you have a car?
8)Occupation?
9)When do you want to move in?
10)How long do you want to stay in my apartment?
11)Pictures of all the Occupant that will stay in my apartment?

I ...............................................CERTIFY that answers given herein are true and complete to the best of my knowledge. I authorize investigation of all statements contained in this application for tenant screening as may be necessary in arriving at a tenant decision. I understand that the landlord may terminate any rental agreement entered into for any misrepresentation made above.

We received a lot of emails but, they are not the kind of tenants we are looking for and we told them that we can't rent it out to them because most of them are smokers and drinkers.
I am looking forward to read from you with all the details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt to you and contacting you as i am very busy with work over here. I await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the keys and document to you.

Thanks and God Bless You.

Mrs Deborah Cox.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement