Room for Rent and other rental scams
#220618 by Starfighter Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:50 pm
Hello people,

here is my story.

I am living in Central Europe, in a big country, in a city that is notorious for its housing market. So last night, I was looking for some apartments in my area and came across this one. Pretty cheap, nice looking pictures. Didn't think much of it since I was pretty tired and failed to recognise all the tell-tale signs, I would say I am an experienced internet user and I feel pretty stupid right now. Aaanyway.

This scam is recorded in here, not sure if I should link to it, so I won't right now for safety. So they replied today, giving me the whole story about how they live in another country, and they are renting the house and that they would like some information about me.
Since I thought the house was a good deal, I gave them a little bit of my life story, before I looked them up and came across your website.

No money has been exchanged, I predict an email from them telling me about a certain London-based housing agency blah blah. Now that I found out, this is not going to happen.
*BUT* they have my, full name, nationality, age, profession, university background, places lived etc.
And this exactly is my fear, how much trouble am I really into, or is it just a bot and they will never use it? I don't want to see my name used as a front for their next scam attack.

Looking forward to listen to the experts.
Advertisement

#220626 by Terminator5 Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:56 pm
Generally they're only interested in ripping off your money . Just drop all contact with them . DO NOT tell them you posted here . It would be a good idea to periodically google the details you gave them to see if they're being used in any scams .

Daniel 8 :25
#220633 by Starfighter Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:37 pm
Hello again,

thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I did some forum searching before I posted and found out the big no-nos. So I am not going to tell them anything, especially that they have been revealed well before me.

If by any chance, I find out that they are actually using my information online, what is there to do? Not a whole lot I would imagine.
#220635 by Terminator5 Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:21 pm
If they're using it in email there isn't too much you could do . If its on a site somewhere it may be possible to get it removed , depending on the site . Come back here and let us know if something like that happens .

Daniel 8 :25
#220641 by HillBilly Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:26 pm
Starfighter wrote:If by any chance, I find out that they are actually using my information online, what is there to do? Not a whole lot I would imagine.

What you can do is highly dependent on the information of yours they use. And, as T5 says, it is not likely they will use it. But if you want to be sure

As far as the rest of your information is concerned, there isn't much you can do except make alerts for yourself to see if your personal information starts getting abused. Go here : https://www.google.com/alerts to make alerts. In quotes use separate alerts for all of the information your looking for ergo : "Firstname Lastname", "123 address street" , "555-555-5555" ( phone # ) , and "[email protected]" . If there is any other info you are worried about, make a separate alert for it as well.

You may find a lot of websites that have your publicly available information on them as it is. If you want it removed simply write to the webmaster of that site and 999 out of 1000 times, it is done with no questions.

If you find other information of yours being used in nefarious ways, then you'll need to look into what info it is, and how to correct it from that source. Ergo, if your passport information is being erroneously used, you would need to contact whoever issued your passport, report it as lost / stolen information, then request a different ID # so it doesn't wind up hurting you in the long run. Every situation will be different, but the procedure will be the same no matter the circumstances.