Room for Rent and other rental scams
#228134 by strudelduck Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:34 am
Hello! This is my first time posting here. I just joined because of this scam I almost fell for. I emailed this person about an apartment in Boston listed on Craigslist. His first email to me was as follows:

Hello Applicant,

This is to acknowledge the receipt of your inquiry email to my posting on craigslist regarding my house for rent and I do apologize for the slow in response to your inquiry about my ad.Recently moved to WI to stay close to my family beacause of Cancer.

I will like to lease my unit out till Next year before i can put it on sale because the market is not too good now. Do drive down and take a look at the unit from outside and the environment it's a lovely/secured neighborhood to live in

No one is living in this unit currently and it has a parking.
Pets allowed.
And month to month can be consider.
( ADDRESS:87 Revere St UNIT 1, Boston, MA 02114)

It's a Huge 2 beds, 2.5 baths, electricity, water,Cable,internet and garage are included in the monthly rent.The rent is $1800 per month plus a Refundable damage deposit of $1800 will be paid alongside with the first month’s rent before moving in. I do love to know more about you before we proceed. Attached are the most recent pictures i took some weeks back before i left for Boston. If interested with the neighborhood do write back

Regards,
Alan Rogers Hombs.

I didn't want to rent an apartment sight unseen, so I asked if there was a way for us to have my cousin check out the apartment on our behalf (since we're also not in the Boston area, but my cousin is), and this was his response:

How are you doing today and thanks for you compliments on my apartment.
Right now am not in Boston and there is no way your Cousin can meet me, am sick here. The apartment is fully furnished just like it is in the pictures nothing is missing accept my clothes that i bought here with me.

As for the keys i can mail it to you or your cousin if he/she have a physical address i can mail it to it will also include the lease agreement copies.. There should be no problem doing that.

I will send you my identifications and other things you need to make you know am legit about this i understand there are too many bad people out there now...

I will also prefer a bank wire or deposit for all payments because i was trying to lease to someone from New York last week they mailed me a check that turned out fake.

Kindly let me know how you want to go about this asap!

Regards,
Alan.

When he told me that we would have to do a bank wire or deposit for our payments and that he could potentially mail the keys to my cousin (I assume he meant after we sent him a payment), I became more suspicious and I started looking online for scams that matched this description. This website had a few scams where fake landlords said that they couldn't show you the property because they were out of town for some reason or another, and this made me more suspicious.

I asked him for some sort of proof or ownership/address, like a cable or electric bill. I figured if he actually owned/rented the place he would have to have to still be paying the bills and have them forwarded to his WI address. He told me that he did not have any bills, because they were all in the house, but he sent me a photocopy of his ID (which I am assuming is fake or stolen & am in the process of reporting to IC3):

I told him I could not proceed until I saw proof of address, and he sent me this photo of a Massachusetts Land Record, saying he couldn't get his bills:

All land records are available to the public, so I looked it up at this website, and it turns out he took a screencap of the actual most recent land record and photoshopped it to put his name on it.

So anyways, this guy was obviously a fraud. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to put up a picture of the actual land record, but if other people think I should I will do so. I'm also not sure if there's a specific format to these posts or specific information I need for this. Please let me know if there's anything I'm missing or anything I need to include or exclude, and I hope this information is helpful.
Advertisement

#228135 by Terminator5 Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:37 am
This is a common rental scam . Could you please post the email addresses the scammer was using as well as a link to scam ad .

Thanks for posting . Your post will help warn other potential victims .

Daniel 8 :25
#228136 by strudelduck Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:42 am
Ok well my pictures don't seem to be working, so I'm trying it a different way:

Fake ID

Fake Land Record

Hopefully this works.

The email address is the same one that is in the title: [email protected]. And the craigslist listing is http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sub/4765742961.html, but it may not work, as I've flagged it for abuse.
#228137 by Terminator5 Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:01 am
Thanks . They are actually stealing the wording of this legitimate rental ad :

http://www.clproperties.com/prop-print/71768297

87 Revere 1Boston, MA : Beacon Hill 02114Suffolk CountyUnit Level:1 Grade School: Middle School: High School: Rent:$4,650/mo
Description
This stunning two bedroom duplex, located on Beacon Hill's Revere Street, features a renovated 1467 square-foot open loft-style living/dining area, with sliding doors that open onto a spectacular private patio. A gourmet kitchen features Viking appliances, a large island and cabinetry. Additional features include a marble gas fireplace, hardwood floors, exposed brick, huge bedrooms, great storage and 1.5 baths.

And using it in their scam ad here :

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sub/4765742961.html

[email protected]

$1800 / 2br - 1467ft² - Stunning two bedroom / 2.5 bath duplex (Boston)
Revere St
2BR / 2.5Ba 1467ft2 furnished duplex available nov 1
This stunning two bedroom duplex, located on Beacon Hill's Revere Street, features a renovated 1467 square-foot open loft-style living/dining area, with sliding doors that open onto a spectacular private patio. A gourmet kitchen features Viking appliances, a large island and cabinetry. Additional features include a marble gas fireplace, hardwood floors, exposed brick, huge bedrooms

#228139 by Terminator5 Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:11 am
Its best just to drop all contact with the scammer . DO NOT TELL THEM THEY ARE POSTED HERE .

Thanks for posting on scamwarners .

#228289 by Terminator5 Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:27 am
[email protected], 872-216-1432 . Rental Scams , Pet / Puppy Scams . Bandwidth dot com VoIP Telephone . Probable Location . West Africa . Cameroon most likely .

http://www.pandahi.com/1012063387.html

Posting ID : B1012063387
Date Posted : 2013-02-27
Category : Pets

Here white and brown coat is thick and soft to the touch. Just one look in their sweet teddy bear face and you'll be in love. They loves getting all the attention and stealing a few kisses when cuddling up with you on the couch.
They will be just the right size to make those long and short trips, weighing in at 10 or under pounds when they are grown. They will come to their new family with her reg. papers, medical record, vet exam (form head to tail) and health guarantee. They are up to date on all age appropriate vaccinations and preventive care.

Transportation to a major airport close to you is available for free
You can reach me at (872) 216-1432 text only.

rejistration, medical record, vet exam, guarantee, crate if shipped

http://galveston.semesh.com/a,7,179951, ... option.htm

Shih Tzu pups looking for adoption Ad id: 2303138562811866 | Views: 19

Price: Contact Us
Date listed: 1 year ago

I just relocated and pets are not allowed in my new apartment. I will love to find a new home for my pup. Kindly text me if you have a good home..(872) 216-1432 Text only please

http://mrnumber.com/1-872-216?page=3
1-872-216-1432
Reported on Nov 11, 2014
She scam me for 40.000

#228416 by 3goldens Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:23 pm
thanks this saved me a lot of aggravation!

add this to the list in Boston:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sub/4772200050.html

Thanks for taking your time to write me, The unit is currently still
available. I got a year contract to work with a major printing firm in
Fairbanks, Alaska. I still have a 15 months lease at my Boston, MA Unit.
The unit is currently vacant and locked while I'm seeking to sub-lease it
out for between 1 to 12 months. The apartment is fully furnished with all
the necessary equipment and appliances and its inclusive all the bills too.
As its been difficult to find someone to sub-lease to for 15 months, I am
happy to lease the apartment to you for short/long term. I will not be able
to show the apartment to you in person, since I'm in Fairbanks, Alaska. I
took some pictures of the unit before leaving and can show them to you to
see if its okay and I also have the keys and documents right here with me,
So you can only view the unit from outside at the moment.

I have actually left it vacant, but my wife advised that I must rent it
out. It's 1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom, fully furnished, cable TV, WiFi Internet,
electricity, water and Parking are included in the monthly rent. The rent,
which includes all utilities is $1,350 per month. A Refundable damage
deposit of $1,000 will be paid alongside the rent before you move in. I
will like you to tell me about yourself because I am interested in knowing
your capability of funding the rent and taking care of my apartment.
Please let me know if you would still like to proceed to sub-lease the unit
so I can speak with the landlord for the rental form and sublease agreement=
.Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Evan Wells
[email protected]
#228424 by Terminator5 Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:10 pm
Thanks for posting and updating . Be sure to flag the fraudulent craigslist posts .

#280594 by anchsak Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:52 pm
Evans Wells [[email protected]]
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sub/5370682043.html
Hello,
I'm glad you’re interested in subleasing and I'm very optimistic that you will find it interesting subletting from me. I'm Evan Wells… I got a 9 months contract to work with a printing firm {Advanced Printing CO} in Fairbanks, Alaska.
I still have 12 months lease at Greenwich Village Apartment in New York, NY, The unit is currently vacant and locked while I'm seeking to sub-lease it out for between 1 to 12 months. The apartment is fully furnished with all the necessary equipment and appliances and its inclusive all the bills too. As its difficult to find someone to sublease to for the whole 12 months, I am happy to lease the apartment to you for short/long term. I will not be able to show the apartment to you in person, since I'm in Fairbanks, Alaska. I took some pictures of the unit before leaving and can show them to you to see if it’s okay and I also have the keys and documents right here with me, so you can only view the unit from outside at the moment.
I’d have actually left it vacant, but my wife advised that I must rent it out. Its 1 bedroom & 1 bathroom, fully furnished, Electricity, Wi-Fi, Water and Parking space are included in the monthly rent. The rent, which includes all utilities, is $1,850 per month. A Refundable damage deposit of $1,850 will be paid alongside the rent before you move in. I will like you to tell me about yourself because I am interested in knowing your capability of funding the rent and taking care of my apartment.
Please let me know if you would still like to proceed to sub-lease the unit so I can speak with the landlord for the rental form and agreement. Let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks,
Evan Wells
#280683 by Terminator5 Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:40 pm
Thanks for posting . Your post will help warn other potential victims .

#286991 by Kalva Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:38 pm
We had same experience

Hello,
I'm glad you’re interested in subleasing and I'm very optimistic that you will find it interesting subletting from me. I'm Evans Wells… I got a 9 months contract to work with a printing firm {Advanced Printing CO} in Fairbanks, Alaska.
I still have 12 months lease at University Village, The unit is currently vacant and locked while I'm seeking to sub-lease it out for between 1 to 12 months. The apartment is fully furnished with all the necessary equipment and appliances and its inclusive all the bills too. As its difficult to find someone to sublease to for the whole 12 months, I am happy to lease the apartment to you for short/long term. I will not be able to show the apartment to you in person, since I'm in Fairbanks, Alaska. I took some pictures of the unit before leaving and can show them to you to see if it’s okay and I also have the keys and documents right here with me, so you can only view the unit from outside at the moment.
I’d have actually left it vacant, but my wife advised that I must rent it out. Its 1 bedroom & 1 bathroom, fully furnished, Electricity, Wi-Fi, Water and Parking space are included in the monthly rent. The rent, which includes all utilities, is $1,100 per month. A Refundable damage deposit of $1,100 will be paid alongside the rent before you move in. I will like you to tell me about yourself because I am interested in knowing your capability of funding the rent and taking care of my apartment.
Please let me know if you would still like to proceed to sub-lease the unit so I can speak with the landlord for the rental form and agreement. Let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks,
Evans Wells