Room for Rent and other rental scams
#29937 by Michelle Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:26 pm
To: Michelle
Subject: RE: Reply to your ad: Well Maintained One Bedroom Flat For Rent In Sheffield
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 07:10:33 -0700

Thanks for your email and it is my gladness to hear from you.I am
Alan Johnson,the owner of the Flat you are making inquiry of.Actually
I resided in the Flat with my family,presently we moved away due to mytransfer from my working place,my Flat is Located at 39, Haugh Lane, Ecclesall, Sheffield, S.Yorkshire, S11 and presently my Flat is still available for rent for 360 GBP per month including the utilities like hydro, washer,gas,internet, council tax and one secured parking Space,it is fully furnished but we can get it unfurnished for you if you prefer that..Now, I went for a Crusade in the West Africa and i will like you to get in touch with my wife in the United states for more details & pictures of our flat as She is with the keys and the documents to the Flat.Please, i want you to note that i am a kind and honest person, also i spent a lot of money on my property that i want to give you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this Flat and want you to treat it as your own,I hope you understand that.I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i eventually come to country to see our clean it is and will try to do that some day...Where are you located? let us know how soon you are willing to move in as we are deciding very soon on who to take our flat.
Email my wife Jessica,on ( [email protected] ) she will attend to you
better. Thanks for your interest.
Best Regards,
Alan Johnson

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send money (again via Western Union) in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#29938 by Michelle Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:59 pm
Further reply:-

from alan jessica < [email protected] >
to Michelle
date Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 6:50 PM
subject Re: Flat to rent

Hi Lindsey Gaskell,

My husband and I owners of the flat . It was due to my husband transfer that makes us to leave the flat and also want to give it out for rent a looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own. So for now, Am here in Atlanta, United States our new house so viewing at this time will not be possible..Hope you are not offended by that and also with the keys of the flat, We try to look for an agent that we can give this document before we left but could not see and we re as well as don't want our house to be used any how in our present that is why we took it along to us here and as you know that, My husband over in West Africa,Nigeria for a Christian Mission of God, So I hope you will promise us to take very good care of the flat. So get back to me on how you could take care of our flat. Hope you are okay with the price with hydro, Heat laundry facilities, Internet and so on, View more pictures at the attach file.. I look forward to hearing from you ASAP so that I can forward you rent application to fill out and discuss on how to get the keys/documents and move in,also are you ready to rent it now or when ?

MORE DETAILS:-
FULLY FURNISHED
SHORT/LONG TERM RENT
SPACIOUS AND LIGHT
KITCHEN BREAKFAST ROOM
POPULAR AREA
ONE BEDROOM
GOOD TRANSPORT LINKS
PARKING SPACE.

Bedroom 14'5 x 10'2 (4.39m x 3.1m)
Kitchen 5'0 x 3'5 (1.52m x 1.04m)
Bathroom 9'1 x 6'8 (2.77m x 2.03m)