Room for Rent and other rental scams
#232542 by Lana Ci Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:26 pm
I am looking for a renter in my basement and received this email which sounds suspicious to me:
"Glad to hear back from you my name is Tracy Williams ,I want you to please consider renting it to me because i'm not available to come and see the place now but pictures will be okay for me.I will like to tell you little about me...I am single 28 YRS from Scotland ..I am quiet and easy going person to live with , I am extremely clean,don't smoke,quiet and caring i am easy to get along with.I drink occasionally ,I admit I am not perfect but I try to leave things in a condition so that others are not inconvenienced.

I need to secure it for myself before i arrive to the state as I'll be moving in with my luggage.I must confess to you that you will enjoy my stay in your home.I am a chemist by profession and i am currently working with Southern General Hospital 1345 Govan Road,Glasgow G51 4TF...

I will be in the states by second week of January and during my stay i will be working with the United State environmental protection agency EPA on a private research work....It will be a great pleasure seeing you soon.I think you should let me know a lil about you too.You can reach me on +447042067750 anytime.

Thanks
Advertisement

#232543 by AlanJones Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:43 pm
It is a definite scam - the phone number +447042067750 is a personal redirect number that can be re-directed anywhere in the world. No one actually in the UK would have such a number.

Just delete the email without responding to it . Don't challenge "her", they'll only try to deny it.

Please post the email address that the scammer is using.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#232546 by Lana Ci Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:29 pm
Thank you so much for confirming my suspicions! Unfortunately, I don't have the scammer's email address because she responded through Craigslist in Northern Virginia. Craigslist protects identity of its users by coding email addresses. Thanks again. Lana
#232549 by HillBilly Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:36 pm
Remember, http://google.com/ Google is your friend. I found a few older scams using the same phone #. Different names, but the same phone #.... Given the first email address, it is likely that other email addresses are ([email protected]) the free email provider being either hotmail, or gmail most likely.

http://reportcraigslistscams.com/xzclf/ ... mmate.html
Reported on: Wednesday, 28 May, 2014 08:18
Updated On: Wednesday, 28 May, 2014 08:19
Reply to: (Not Shown)
Beware of this email from this email addresses: michellepatterson [email protected], [email protected]

Glad to hear back from you my name is Michelle Patterson actually i'm planning to stay for a year and can stay longer if needs be,I want you to please consider renting it to me because i'm not available to come and see the place now but pictures will be okay for me.I will like to tell you little about me...I am single 28 YRS from Scotland ..I am quiet and easy going person to live with , I am extremely clean,don't smoke,quiet and caring i am easy to get along with.I drink occasionally ,I admit I am not perfect but I try to leave things in a condition so that others are not inconvenienced.

I need to secure it for myself before i arrive to the state as I'll be moving in with my luggage.I must confess to you that you will enjoy my stay in your home.I am a chemist by profession and i am currently working with Southern General Hospital 1345 Govan Road,Glasgow G51 4TF...

I will be in the states by the beginning of May and during my stay i will be working with the United State environmental protection agency EPA on a private research work....It will be a great pleasure seeing you soon.I think you should let me know a lil about you too.You can reach me on +447042067750 anytime.

Here is the email I got:

Michelle Patterson
To Me
Today at 7:36 AM
Glad to hear back from you my name is Michelle Patterson ,I want you to please consider renting it to me because i'm not available to come and see the place now but pictures will be okay for me.I will like to tell you little about me...I am single 28 YRS from Scotland ..I am quiet and easy going person to live with , I am extremely clean,don't smoke,quiet and caring i am easy to get along with.I drink occasionally ,I admit I am not perfect but I try to leave things in a condition so that others are not inconvenienced.

I will be in the states by the second week of August and during my stay i will be working with the United State environmental protection agency EPA on a private research work....It will be a great pleasure seeing you soon.I think you should let me know a lil about you too.You can reach me on +447042067750 anytime.

http://www.utcssa.net/forum.php?mod=vie ... &tid=20509
My name is Allison Green,I want you to please consider renting it to me because i'm not available to come and see the place now but pictures will be okay for me.I will like to tell you little about me...I am single 28 YRS from Scotland ..I am quiet and easy going person to live with , I am extremely clean,don't smoke,quiet and caring i am easy to get along with.I drink occasionally ,I admit I am not perfect but I try to leave things in a condition so that others are not inconvenienced.

I will be in the states before the end of August and during my stay i will be working with the United State environmental protection agency EPA on a private research work....It will be a great pleasure seeing you soon.I think you should let me know a lil about you too.You can reach me on +447042067750 anytime.