Room for Rent and other rental scams
#235374 by Michelle Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:30 am
Jonathan Lapore <[email protected]>

"I will send over the lease form, to go through and fill the necessary details needed. I will be there on your arrival date to hand over the apt keys to you and show you round the apt, To secure and hold the apt down for you you have to make deposit for the First month apartment fees plus security deposit $500 to hold your dates. Once the payment is confirmed i can book and reserve the apartment for you immediately and you can be in contact with the lady staying in the unit to setup viewing date her name is mabel santiago [email protected]

MODE OF PAYMENT : Direct Deposit Into The Landlord Account

Name:

Check In Date:

Check Out Date:

A picture of you:

A copy of your ID :

Thanks"

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#235492 by Michelle Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:49 pm
Date: Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 5:54 PM
To: Michelle Banks
Subject: More information about the apartment

The apartment is fully furnished with all necessary utilities, even pets are allowed. There is a pet policy on the lease, I will provide more pictures of the Interior aspect of the property and the location for you to go down and check how safe and okay it is, if this is okay by you kindly get back to me with your check in date and your check out date so we can proceed with the paper work..

Apartment Included are the following:

- Air conditioning / central heating

- Fully equipped kitchen

- Chairs

- Microwave

- Pots and pans

- Refrigerator

- Toaster

- Hair dryer

- Iron and board

- Towel (1 set per person, please bring more as needed)

- LCD TV

- Free hi-speed WiFi access

Apartment located-141 W 16th St New York, NY 10011, USA

Thanks for your mail

Reported using google voice # 607-218-7420