Room for Rent and other rental scams
#238958 by Michelle Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:03 pm
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 13:48:58 +0000
Subject: RE: craigslist ad
To: Michelle Banks

Hello Applicant,

How are you doing today..?? We are pleased that you have an interest in our house, my house is still available for rent, but all i want is someone who i can put my Trust on and a God-fearing person, I rented my house to some families, i must say am really disappoint in them, They claim to be very neat and honest, And Also They Could not afford to pay the rent for 4 month, Which is very bad, They lied to me filling out the rental application form, telling me that they were capable of paying the rent, they also damaged some of my properties, which have been fixed now. I am looking for a responsible & clean tenant that will Be able to take good care of my apartment. We want responsible adults/family that are neat and also believe that they have what it takes to take care of our house as if it were theirs. My wife and I initially had it up for sale but had a change of mind in leasing it out ourselves because the agent that was in charge of our rental property was asking too much of an agent fee and also making it difficult for people who cannot afford the rent, stay away from renting my house. The reason why our house is up for lease is because I got transferred to (Houston,Texas) on a Missionary Work by my church here, I will be away with my family for at least 5 to 6 years or more because of the love I have for them, I have decided not to sell our house and also assuring them that we only have few years to spend here and will be willing to lease it out to person/family who is willing to assure us of taking absolute care of our home and pay their rent on time. I will start by telling you more in regard me and my family. I have a daughter named Amy (23yrs) who attends University of New York as a medical student, she has a lot going for her and she is also down to earth in all that she does to keep us happy and when she is back home on vacation, she also assist her mom in the house work when am at the Church. I'm a Missionary man here in Houston,Texas and got married to a lovely wife who is a member of Joyce Meyer Ministries Its a spacious and lovely home. Utilities are included and Pets are allowed. Kitchen completely equipped, Kettle - Toaster - Dishwasher - Freezer - Microwave - Oven - Dryer - Heat - Water-Washing Machine and Electric. Please make sure this questions are fill correctly because the best way you answer with your comment will impress me the more to accept your applications. The home is available for long term and short term lease.

RENT QUESTIONNAIRE

1.) Your full Name?______________________________
2.) Your full address & mobile number / home #?______________________________
3.) Marital Status / DOB?___________________________________________
4.) How many people will be living in the house and Names of people moving in with you?_________________________
5.) Length of previous tenancy and occupation of each person move in with you?______________________________
6.) Do you have a car / Do you have a pet? Please describe Breed, size______________________________
7.) Are you a section 8 applicant?__________________
8.) Do you run a business from home, If so what kind of business?___________________
9.) How often do you do your current house cleaning?___________________
10.) When will you like to move in?_____________________________
11.) How long are you willing to stay in the property?________________
12.) When are you ready to Move In, please write exact move in date?________________
13.) How many months rent can you pay upfront? Minimum ( 1 month +
SECURITY DEPOSIT ) or ( 2 months + SECURITY DEPOSIT ), so which option
do you prefer ??________________
14.) How much do you have at hand right now if you are asked to secure the property today before you get the keys?
15.) Can we trust you and our house safe keeping in your hand?_______________________
16.) Do you work late night and do you smoke and drink? (We just wanna know don't get it twisted) no hard feelings.
17.) REFERENCE?__________________

Below is the rental property address: 857 W 34th St, Norfolk, VA 23508

2 bedrooms
Pets allowed: Yes
Rent: $550
Refundable Security Deposit: $550
N.B: All the utilities are all included in the rent.

You can drive by the house at your earliest convenience to see it from the outside then get back to me asap.
Sincerely,
YOU CAN CONTACT ME AT: (832) 736-7458 or text me
Mr. & Mrs: David & Family.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement