Room for Rent and other rental scams
#240493 by Michelle Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:18 am
On 5 Mar 2015 20:43, "Anne J" <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks for your response to my ad.The flat is two bedroom flat and below is the details of the flat before we proceed.

Flat address: Little Russell Street, Bloombury London, WC1A 2HR and the rent is £500 per month,all bills inclusive for a room while the whole 2 bedroom flat is £1000 and security deposit of £500 which is refundable after end of contract and we offer minimum stay of 1 month and maximum stay 1 yr with the option of extending the contract after 12 months.

The flat amenities are: TV ,CD - DVD - Video,Radio,High-speed Internet with WiFi,Washing, Electric Kettle,Toaster,Dishwasher,Refrigerator,Machine ,dryer, Heating, iron and Ironing board,Gas cooker,oven,Microwave e.t.c

About the Apartment:
* Modern Apartment.
* Fully furnished.
* 2 Bedrooms.
* 2 Modern bathrooms.
* Modern kitchen.
* Climate controlled air conditioning.
* Internal laundry and dryer.
* Lots of storage space.
* Peaceful and quiet.
* Immaculately clean and tidy

The pictures of the flat are hereby attached with this email.

Description: A two bedroom newly refurbished apartment situated in a Victorian school conversion (originally built 1879) in Bloomsbury just moments away from the British Museum. The apartment features a large reception with sash box windows and fireplace, large kitchen/diner with integrated appliances and white gloss finish with quartz work top, two double bedrooms, two contemporary bathrooms, large study area, oak wood flooring throughout, under floor heating, comfort cooling and generous storage. Security systems include video entry system and bramah latch/dead lock & burglar alarm.

Located close to Oxford Street and Shaftesbury Avenue as well as the famous Seven Dials in Covent Garden and the theatres and restaurants of the West End. The nearest underground Stations are Tottenham Court Road (Central & Northern lines) and Holborn (Central & Piccadilly lines). A fantastic apartment that is offered furnished and available immediately.

Nearby stations
Holborn (0.2 miles)
Tottenham Court Road (0.3 miles)
Russell Square (0.3 miles)

Will you be able to take good care of my flat like your own? Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Anne and Thomas.

On 6 March 2015 at 23:35, Anne J <[email protected]> wrote:
I have attached you with the agreement contract form to read/sign and email back to me and below is my bank details to proceed with the part payment of 300 GBP.

Account name: Anne Johntone
Account No. : 02191827
Sort Code : 62-30-53
Bank name: Secure Trust bank

Once you are done with the transaction, kindly email me the online screen shot for confirmation as am yet to activate my online banking alert. Please note once payment is confirmed the flat will be reserved for nobody but YOU!.. Looking forward to hear from you.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement