Room for Rent and other rental scams
#241815 by Michelle Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:08 pm
On Mar 15, 2015, at 9:12 AM, marvin husto <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello There,

I am happy to let you know that my apartment is presently available even for long and short term periods. I am Marvin Husto, the owner of the apartment. I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in US, but now she's back home (London/United Kingdom) permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time.

The flat is exactly like in the pictures . The district is very well-served with public transportation, shops and the apartment building is surrounded by a host of supermarket where you can easily get things needed. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of $1,000 per month and the warranty is also $1,000 and you get it back, once you decide to leave the apartment (with a 30 days notice). As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment. My daughter is building her live here, and i am too old to move to US, so we won't disturb you.

Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long.

On Mar 15, 2015, at 10:32 AM, marvin husto <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for your reply!

After analyzing all the detail's together with my wife, we decided that you would be suitable to rent the apartment. We can start with a basic 1 year contract or with the period of time suitable for you with the possibility of renewing it .

In this moment I'm in United Kingdom and can not be present to deal face to face.

I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from United Kingdom through Realtor.com which is an international company dealing specifically in rentals apartments, I used it in the past and I was very pleased.

In order to view the flat and settle a deal, you will need the keys, and the contract.
I will explain how it works..
If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number, full name, address and email where you want to receive the keys and the temporary contract . Then I will go at Realtor.com company from United Kingdom provide them your information, and they will start the process right away in US. Next you will receive a notification message from themcontaining all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process.

Regarding the Payment, you will be instructed to deposit an amount to an agent from Realtor.com ,they will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent the place or not.(That is my insurance) because my biggest concern is, I must pay $1,000 up front for their service .
If you will not be satisfied with the apartment the total amount will be refunded in same day after your request. You will be given a 2 days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract. During this period you can take a decision. If you like the apartment then we will make a direct rental contract. As for the monthly payment are done directly to my bank account from United Kingdom at the beginning or end of month at your convenience.

I look forward hearing back from you.

Marvin Husto

On Mar 15, 2015, at 3:28 PM, marvin husto <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello again,

I'm sorry for inconvenience but this is how the Realtor.com, protection policy works because, currently we are out of U.S.
In order to view the flat you will needed the keys and the contract, therefore we chose REALTOR Company because this is a well-know US company, famous, dealing with rent remote.

I understand your concerns, but as far as my concerns, I will be glad to let you know that REALTOR Company has the possession of the money until you will decide if you want to rent the place or not.(That is my insurance I told you in my last email).If you decide to rent the apartment, then you will contact their agent to release the funds to me, and ours transaction will be completed. You will be given a 2 days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract. During this period you can take a decision. Realtor.com acts like an escrow company and they will hold the funds until you get the keys and check the apartment. They wont release any money to me until you give them the answer that you want to rent the apartment.

If you will not be satisfied with the apartment the total amount will be refunded in max 24 hours after your request from the same agent.
If you want to go ahead please reply with your full name, curent address,and a phone number. As soon as i will receive these details I will forward them to the Realtor company, and they will initiate the contract through right away.

Please let me know because I have others people interested and I need to know what to do.

All the best from London

Thanks!

Marvin Husto

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement