Room for Rent and other rental scams
#31552 by Michelle Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:07 pm
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010
Subject: Re: Reply to your "Brand new furnished property - brilliant central location!" Ad on Gumtree
To: Michelle

Hi ,

Its very Nice to Read from you,My name is Fortune M owner of the Flat for rent. that wants to be rented out, so we are looking for a responsible person that can take Very Good care of the House.. I also want you to know that it was due to my Job Transfer that made us to leave the flat,so we want you to take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own. and more also i am with the keys and documents of the House, We try to look for an agent or friends that we can give this Keys and document before we left but could not see and we are as well as don't want our House to be used any how in our Absent that is why i brought the keys along with me here.As you know that,i am over here in West Africa for my Job and also wanting a good tenant,so i hope you will promise us to take very good care of the Flat.

So pls get back to me on how you could take care of our flat or perhaps experience you have in renting Flat.Though you spoke like a lovely person to me in the first e-mail you wrote to Me, our property has utilities like :- Stove - Electric ,Refrigerator, Microwave ,Ice Maker ,Full Kitchen ,Coffee maker ,TV/VCR ,Stereo ,Phone ,Linens provided ,High Speed Internet ,CD Player ,Cable/Satellite TV,Double/twin zip & link beds and a child's cot can be provided ,Fitted wardrobe, Kitchen Electric hob/oven,Kitchen utensils ,Microwave ,Washer & dryer ,Refrigerator & freezer ,Toaster ,Electric kettle ,Iron and ironing board ,TV & DVD ,Telephone and Fast internet access , Pedestal Fan ,Free parking.

I look forward to hearing from you asap so that I can forward you an application to fill out and discuss on how to get the flat for rent,View attached file for the House pictures...Looking forward to hear from you soon.and below is the address of the Flat.so if you are OK with this pls request for an application form in your next e-mail...am so sorry that i cannot call you because some problems with my mobile phone,pls bear with me. But you can call me on my cellphone Numbers +2347034477795 or +2347084708232.

Rent: $240 Per Week
Security Deposit :- $400 Refundable once your leaving the House

Thanks
Fortune M.

Subject: Re: Reply to your "Brand new furnished property - brilliant central location!" Ad on Gumtree
To: Michelle

Hello,

Thanks for promising me and i shall keep to my word as well.Thus,all utilities are included in the rent.Right now the next step for you is to go ahead make the Payment so as soon as you do that I can send you the keys/documents immediately via DHL courier service then you can receive the package tomorrow and you can move in any time you wish,I want you to know that we are doing all these based on trust and i hope you will not dissapoint Us or let us Down.Payment shall be sent out to me via western union Money Transfer through the details below . This is my secretary details where you will be sending the money below as i might no be chanced to pick up money myself :-

NB: PAYMENT SHALL BE TRHOUGH WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER.

Receiver's name : ADEKUNLE EMMANUEL
Address : 300 Congress Avenue
City : Ikeja
State : Lagos
Zip Code : 23401

Text Question : Love
Text Answer : God

Please make sure all the Information is spelt correctly when making the transfer...Also get back to me with the details below once you are done with the payment.

Sender's Name:
Sender's Full Address:
Tel #:
10 Digits Confirmation number known as the MTCN # given to you by Western Union:
Amount Sent:

Hope to read from you soon so that I could go and send out the keys/documents on nextday delivery at any nearest DHL office so you could receive the package at your home address then you can move in anytime soon.

Hope to read from you soon

Thanks,
Fortune.

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement