Room for Rent and other rental scams
#243250 by thumper95 Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:53 am
My girlfriend found the below response strange, and once I found this site, confirmed the suspicion that it was a scam listing. Be aware folks, these people are really out to get you.

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 11:01 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Tons of space in this 2 BR Apt

Hi XXXXXXX,

How have you been? The unit is here still to rent. We thought we had the unit rented to someone we gave a walk through to, but now it seems that they are no longer needing to move, so we need to keep searching. You were the second one to contact me.

I bet you want the exact address of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a precaution. Last time we did that without verifying people, it was broken into and vandalized. We don't want that to happen again! That is why we require you to confirm you recieved your most current credit report before we setup a walk-through.You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. For the FIRST time, we are allowing pets at this property. The rental term is one year, but can be switched into a 6-month lease if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and request a copy of your credit report. We use this site since it's it gives you 3 scores. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the report. We aren't interested in specifics of your score, it's more of a formality to ensure you have rental history. Simply get your report CLICK HERE

Do not send me the report over mail, bring it to the tour. We'll also waive your security deposit if we see that your rating is above 620+.

Once you let me know that you have your report ready, then I can personally schedule a walk through of the place.

Thank you,
Lynn Olson
Advertisement

#243258 by thumper95 Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:20 pm
This is the link for the ad.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ ... 06461.html

It states it is a 1 bedroom apartment for rent, then goes into speaking about a townhome. that was odd to me, then we had the above response. Yeah, alarm bells started sounding as soon as I saw something about credit reports and stuff. Plus it was not really well put together. Sounds almost like the Nigerian Prince out there trying to find his long lost Heir or family member.
#243277 by AFarrin2 Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:31 pm
OMG I am so glad I found this forum. This is the message that I received about a condo is Washington DC for $825 a month in Kalaroma Heights Washington,DC.

Hi Ashley,

Whats new? The unit is here still to rent. We thought we had the unit rented to someone that we gave a walk-through to today, but now it seems that they can't get out of their current lease, so we need to keep searching. You were the second one to contact me.

I am sure you want the exact location of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a standard precaution. Last time we did that without being diligent, it was broken into and vandalized. We don't want that to happen again! That is why we require you to confirm you recieved your updated credit report before we setup a tour.You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. For the FIRST time, we are allowing pets at this property. The rental term is one year, but can be switched into a 6-month term if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

When you want to come look at the place, then please visit the link below and grab your credit report. We use this site since it's it gives you 3 scores. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the report. We aren't interested in specifics of your score, it's more of a formality to ensure you have rental history. Simply get your report CLICK HERE

Do not send me the report over mail, bring it to the tour. We typically waive the security deposit with a score of 600+.

Please let me know when you grab your report. I can then schedule you for a walk through of the place.

Thanks again,
Lynn Olson
#243582 by thumper95 Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:01 pm
Yeah Ashley, you have to watch these idiots. They tried it before offering homes that were on the market for sale, and offering 6 7 hundred dollars for rent in places that were double that. Saw it on the news, and they tried contacting us, but we had seen it before so had a little fun with them. They didnt appreciate it very much but it was funny to us.