Room for Rent and other rental scams
#246606 by Michelle Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:25 am
Date: Apr 16, 2015 8:19 PM
Subject: RE: Apt one bedroom for rent
To: Michelle Banks
Cc:

Hello,

My name is Dr. George Hunter and i thank you for wanting to rent my apartment. The address of the apartment is 23-19 Broadway Astoria, NY 11106. I work with Doctors without Borders assisting the CDC and WHO to tackle the spread of Ebola recently in Africa.

You can read about me and my job at: http://blogs.msf.org/en

I prefer to deal directly with you because i have had several issues using realtors since we are not there to supervise the rental process ourselves. We initially contracted the apartment to a realtor but there were issues so we decided to rent it out ourselves. So, we are searching for someone who will be willing to take great care of the apartment as if it is his or hers'. If we come to a conclusion regarding renting the apartment to you, we would arrange on how to get the Keys and House Documents to you so that you can view the apartment before you sign any Document or Lease Agreement. After which you can move in immediately.

APARTMENT DESCRIPTION:

Just Renovated Extra Large One Bed
New Kitchen with plenty of cabinet space
Stainless steel appliances including microwave
Granite Counter tops
Ceramic tile floors in the kitchen area

New HW Floors throughout
Bedroom fits Queen or King size bed
2 Large Closets
Heat and hw included
Close to All on Broadway and Crescent St
24 Hours Super markets and gym, restaurants, cafes, laundromats are all within reach.
5 - 10 min walk to the N/Q train on the Broadway station
Located on the 2nd floor of a walk up building

Rent Fees:

Rent Per Month: $800 (Including Utilities)
Security Deposit: $600 (Refundable)

Please fill the applicant details below so we can proceed with the Lease process.

FIRST NAME:_________
MIDDLE NAME:_________________
LAST NAME:__________________
SEX:________________
PROFESSION:________________
MARITAL STATUS____________
TIME ON YOUR JOB:______
PHONE NUMBERS
(CELL)PHONE_____
(WORK)PHONE____
(HOME)PHONE_____
KIDS___ (YES/NO), HOW MANY_____
PRESENT ADDRESS:____
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING?_______
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?________
IF YOU HAVE A PET?_____
DO YOU SMOKE?______________
DO YOU DRINK?_________
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHTS____

After i have received these details above, i would discuss with my wife and let you know our terms and how we will conclude the Lease process and also send you the Keys to the apartment so that you can move into the apartment asap.

I hope to hear from you soonest.

God Bless.

Dr. George Hunter

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement