Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#257953 by devoboy Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:10 am
I placed my Xbox 360, PS3, games, and iphone 4S on Craigslist with the post ID 5090151369 on 6/23 to sell them for 960 dollars. I received a text message saying that the person would send me 1150 over PayPal if I delivered the items today through USPS priority mail. I delivered the items and paid a fee of 174 dollars for a 22lb and 10 oz package to1 Mogaji Street, Surulere, Lagos, Nigeria +23401 with only a customs number because there are not tracking numbers for Nigeria. The Customs Number is CW745265925US. The PayPal email came from [email protected] <[email protected]> and looked like an actual PayPal email stating that I had to place tracking numbers in to get the 1150 that the man, named Lawrence Parker, sent me. The man was texting me off of phone number +1(773)9417786, a US number, and tried to call me off of a landline with phone number (707)5338013 stating that the product would be for his son, Cole Lil Smith, because he did well on his exam and needed it Priority Mailed to him. As soon as I mailed the items, I contacted PayPal and they said the man provided a fake email to me impersonating to be PayPal with a transaction ID number of 6R13162455780462P which actually belonged to 2 separate people completely unrelated to my transaction. The package has left Knoxville, TN and will be shipped internationally soon. I need this package intercepted or some kind of retribution for this. I contacted USPS and they said they cannot stop the package now because it is an international shipment with no second providers and they do not have the resources to stop this shipment from leaving the country. I have lost a total of 700 dollars of goods and 174 dollar priority mail delivery fee totalling 874 dollars of loss. I'm only a student and cannot afford to lose this much. The dispatch label ID from Knoxville, TN is DS1441272111150624230704 out of Knoxville, TN. The package involves an xbox 360 4 GB, PS3 40 gig, 2 ps3 controllers, 3 xbox 360 controllers, an Iphone 4S, headset, and 15 different games. The man also asked me for a picture of my receipt from the post office, so he might have my customs number I don't know what he can do with it though. I mailed the items out on 6/24/15 at 4:30 pm and received a fake PayPal email from this person saying that I had received 1150 dollars through PayPal about 2 hours before I mailed my items. The receipt number is 001649, approval number is 610919, and transaction number is 53323903586634 for the USPS mail that I shipped from Removed (BW).
I have attempted to resolve the issue with the person who supposedly bought my things and he has not paid me for what I had mailed him and he probably will not. I attempted to have USPS intercept the package but they can't operate on packages being sent to a foreign country. I attempted to post my problem on the Better Business Bureau complaining about PayPal, Craigslist, and USPS and they referred me to you guys. I attempted to contact PayPal but they said they would not be able to compensate me.
I have contacted my attorney that i have on retainer about this as well. He said there is nothing he can do in this matter. No court action pending. Have not lost a lawsuit in this matter. I would like my package through USPS intercepted before it reaches a foreign country. Either that or I would like to receive the payment that the man said he would make of 1150. I would like to get compensated for my items and the delivery fee through USPS I'm not sure how to file complaints against numerous businesses on here. Someone
shouldn't be able to create an email with the same exact email as paypal only with capital letters.
[email protected] is the real one [email protected] is the fake one.
Advertisement

#257955 by AlanJones Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:34 am
devoboy wrote:Someone
shouldn't be able to create an email with the same exact email as paypal only with capital letters.
[email protected] is the real one [email protected] is the fake one.

[email protected] and [email protected] are the same email address - the capitalisation is irrelevant. Please chack what the Reply-to email address is as this is the email address that the scammer is using.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#258935 by devoboy Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:55 pm
HELP NEEDED ON THIS:
Naturally, I tried to get my money back from the SOB by telling him i'll report him to the government and ic3.gov and the postal inspectors. I made reports at the BBB against craigslist, paypal, and USPS. I sent the whole thing into ic3.gov. This man continues to text me for my iCloud email and password and says that he needs it for the transaction. His reply-to email is [email protected]. Soon, my phone and computer start acting completely crazy and flickering and stuff. I start to change all of my passwords for all of my stuff really fast. Soon I get to the iCloud page and it says that my iCloud password is not working. I try to set the security questions and it says password changed. I even go to my school library computers and it doesn't work. But then when I go to log back in it says password not accepted. I call the iCloud manager and he's asking me if my email is [email protected]. No, my email does not belong to the federal trade commission!!! I sit on the phone with him for about 2 hours and it keeps failing and failing. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT SOMEONE CAN DO WITH YOUR ICLOUD BUT SOMEONE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME. The iCloud guy is seeing things on his website that he never saw before like explanations as to why my password wont work. I finally changed the security questions, changed the password, and turned on 2 step verification for iCloud. When I get home, i change my passwords for everything off of my friends phone. Soon, his phone too starts acting weird. I dunno if I'm right or not but I start seeing a bunch of fake websites coming up as the first results from google.com to make me reset my iCloud id and password. This might be a phishing attempt. I'm not sure if the government could be involved on this.

What the hell do I do now? How do I get my money back from the mail fraud for the stuff I sent to Nigeria? How do I make sure my iCloud hasn't been taken?
What could happen if someone takes your icloud?
Is a factory reset computer and phone safe to use?
Can I log into my stuff online?
#258949 by HillBilly Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:04 pm
devoboy wrote:In addition, I've already called the police to my residence and they said they could not prosecute because the people are in Nigeria.

and the scammers know that. Jurisdictional lines are drawn in their favor.

You will never get your money back, however, it is a good idea to report it to the IC3 https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx the more reports they get ( the more paper trails), if your criminal is ever adjudicated within jurisdictional lines, there is a small chance you will be paid restitution.

If you go through the news section here, you will see more and more of these cases happening as time goes on.

#258950 by HillBilly Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:07 pm
devoboy wrote:[email protected] is the reply to email this guy is using

meaning that the Service@ PP address is a complete forgery. They do that because it looks real.

#259001 by devoboy Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:56 pm
Yeah they told me that it was for the son cause he did good on his "success examination" he sounded Nigerian to me and it just seemed like a father trying to get a gift for his son lol. These people probably researched my whole life before they started this. Once I sent the mail, USPS said it was gone forever bye bye. I was flabbergasted
#259003 by Bryon Williams Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:07 pm
I am sorry you are a victim of this scam.

You will never see your items again nor will you ever be paid for them. Any promise by anyone will just be another scam.

The scammer did not research you. He sent the same script to hundreds of sellers.

I attempted to post my problem on the Better Business Bureau complaining about PayPal, Craigslist, and USPS and they referred me to you guys.

Paypal was not involved in the scam. The scammer sent you a fake email pretending to be from Paypal.

Craigslist has a warning and disclaimer on their site and messages you receive.
DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer.

FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.

NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)

AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.

DO NOT RENT HOUSING WITHOUT SEEING THE INTERIOR, OR PURCHASE EXPENSIVE ITEMS SIGHT-UNSEEN - in all likelihood that housing unit is not actually for rent and that cheap item does not exist.

USPS did their job and mailed your package. It is true once you ship internationally it can not be recalled. The package in now out of USPS control.

Please in the future if you sell on Craigslist meet your buyer face to face in a public place. Only accept cash.

Once again we are sorry you are a victim.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#259099 by devoboy Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:43 pm
Well, that sucks. I didn't know about any of this and even selling things on craigslist before but I'm glad they only scammed me out of only a grand. I know everything they do and I can tell something is a scam now in seconds. They can't possibly get me again. I take it as a lifelong lesson for a 1000 dollars
#259101 by Bryon Williams Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Something you could do is to expose the scammer. Post his email address and text number. This will help others avoid his scam attempts.

This same scam works with fake check and money orders. You and your bank will think they are real. After you cash the fake check. Days or weeks later your bank will inform you of the fraud. Your bank will have you repay the monies. Possibly close your account for fraud and report you to Law Enforcement.

If it was a vehicle or large item, he would pretend to make an overpayment. He then will instruct you to pay a mover, shipper or agent. The fake Paypal email from the scammer would say that your Paypal funds will be released when you send the scammer (mover,agent or shipper) money via Western Union or Money Gram. In reality Paypal would never hold your funds.

Any questions please ask.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/