Information on romance scams and scammers.
#262418 by HillBilly Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:44 am
(559) 702-1008
Twilio VoIP in Woodlake, CA

https://www.twilio.com/phone-numbers
Virtual Phone Numbers for Applications
Instantly acquire local, national, mobile, and toll-free phone numbers in nearly 50 countries with one API.

Advertisement

#262426 by HillBilly Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:20 pm
No, warylady that is a virtual #. It can not be traced ( a possible exception is Law Enforcement). It only forwards to or from a real # ( If you consider a VOIP # a real #, that is). I hope this is not too technical, see below from Wiki.

here is a definition of a virtual # https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_number
A virtual number, also known as DID or access number, is a telephone number without a directly associated telephone line. Usually these numbers are programmed to forward incoming calls to one of the pre-set telephone numbers chosen by the client; either Fixed, Mobile or VoIP. A virtual number can work like a gateway between traditional calls (PSTN) and VOIP.

Subscribers to virtual numbers may use their existing phones, without the need to purchase additional hardware.

Usually a virtual telephone number can be set to forward calls to different telephone numbers depending on the time of day and the day of the week; for example, between 9-5 on working days incoming calls will be forwarded to one's workplace, but in the weekends to one's cellphone.

The availability (and acceptable use) of Virtual Phone Numbers is subject to the regulatory situation in the issuing country.

Applications/Example of use
Businesses. Thus a company located in China can have a phone number in Los Angeles or London without paying for a fixed Foreign exchange line. Virtual Numbers are very popular among call centers which appear to be located in one country, when in fact they are in one or more countries in different time zone, delivering efficient 24/7 cover.
Individuals. Other popular users of international virtual numbers are migrants and travelers, who appreciate the fact that their friends and family back home can contact them using a local call. ( or by scammers trying to trick people into thinking they are in a location they are no where near)....

Sorry if it is too technical. but the basics of it is that the # is virtual, meaning it is not a real #, it just looks real.

The above supplier of the # I quoted is a developer that sells their product to certain software companies as an app. They basically sell a "disposable" phone # so that you don't have to give away your real # to someone you do not trust.... its a great concept, given the right circumstances. However when it is a criminal hiding his real details, not a person just waiting for that trust to be earned enough to give out their real #, it is far from a good thing.

#262428 by WaryLady Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:39 pm
Wow!! Very technical but detailed. And thanks for going the extra mile to elaborate on layman terms for me to understand. Yup, I think I have understood how this sort of a virtual # works now :D Txs so much Hillbilly!