Room for Rent and other rental scams
#271161 by kpatch60 Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:15 pm
I am looking for a vacation rental in New Orleans. I found an ad on Craigslist. The deal sounds too good to be true, $150 per night. They also said if I payed the whole trip at once, I would be discounted 10%. I was sent a lease agreement and after I returned it I was asked to transfer the money via Wells Fargo wire transfer. I said I would be unable to use this method and I was given the option to use PayPal and the person said they could do PayPal. From what I've read on here it seems like the wire transfer is a dead giveaway. Googling the person, Eric Johnson and the company, The New Orleans Realtors result in no results. The address is 817 Saint Phillip Street, which according to Trulia is for sale by owner. The email address also uses an @realemail.net domain which set off some red flags as well.
Last edited by Michelle on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Topic Renamed --
Advertisement

#271162 by Bryon Williams Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:27 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Can you please post a couple of the initial emails to you? Please remove your personal information from them prior to submitting.

Also post the email headers with your information removed. In my signature below you will find a link on how to find headers.

Were you given any phone numbers and spoke with anyone over the phone?

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#271166 by kpatch60 Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:07 pm
Have not spoken with anyone over the phone. I spoke with someone over the phone about another place ( More reasonably priced) and the owner asked me tons of questions and seemed much more genuine. Another reason I felt sketchy about this one. Here are some emails attached.
Last edited by kpatch60 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#271205 by Tim Atem Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:10 pm
It is a scam - the language/grammar are dead giveaways. Also - almost all legitimate vacation rentals require a credit card to reserve your room, not have you running to specific banks to make a counter deposit. Do not send any money.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#271223 by kpatch60 Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:47 pm
Thanks I was about 95% sure. The email was an @realemail.com address. Just about every craigslist vacation rental I contacted in the NOLA area had similar reaponses.
#271242 by Mike Wilson Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:45 am
Eric New Orleans Rental <[email protected]>

This is a legal and binding lease between the Owner, agents and guest to live in said property for the length of (1 month,).

Guest will have sole access and use 817 Saint Philip Street, New Orleans LA 70116. The property is a 4 bedroom, 3 bathrooms, newly renovated fully furnished property.

Name of Agent: Eric Johnson Rentals

Guest Name:

Reservation Number: 55285####

Renter agrees to the following: *A 50% prepayment is required to confirm a reservation with the balance due in cash upon arrival except for booking made within 2 weeks of the arrival date then full payment plus $400 security fee, for the funds to clear and to avoid no shows or fake reservation. Once deposit is received and reservation is confirmed. $400 security fully refundable upon satisfactory inspection at check-out
1. CHECK-IN time is after 12 Noon and CHECK-OUT time is before 12 Noon.

2. PAYMENT SCHEDULE
You are to pay $2650 now to secure dates in our calendar.
3 Quoted Full Rental for ($4500) including all fees ($4500 @ $4500 per month includes all taxes and cleaning fee)
Refundable Security Deposit of $400 (And will be refunded by me, on your day of Departure)
Rental Balance Payment to be PAID IN CASH (Upon Arrival) $2250
Security: If you comply with the terms of this lease, the property owner will return this security in full. If you do not fully comply with this lease, the owner has the right to use Security to pay amounts owed by you, including amounts due to damage to property.
Liability: The property owner is not responsible for loss, expense, or damage to your person or property unless due to the property negligence. You are responsible for all acts of his occupants, guests or invitees.

4. CANCELLATIONS - A five (5) working days notice is required for cancellation. Cancellations that are made more than five (5) working days prior to the arrival date will incur no penalty. Cancellations or changes that result in a shortened stay, that are made within three days of the arrival date, forfeit the reservation/damage deposit. Early departure does not warrant any refund of rent.
5. SUBLEASE: You may not assign, sublet all or part of the property without the owner written consent.

By sending the booking deposit, Renter agrees to all five (5) terms and conditions.
NOTE: Once I confirm your Payment, You'll receive a Receipt ASAP to confirm your reservation.
Reservation will be active after receiving a deposit, Confirmation e-mail will be sent.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#271304 by Mike Wilson Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:18 pm
We have pencil you in for your date (1 month, December 1st–31st, 2015). Just waiting for the booking payment confirmation to secure your reservation. We are always around for check in from 12 noon to 9:00 pm. I will be expecting you upon arrival, in order to welcome you and handover the keys.

To have the place reserved for you. You need to have the %50 deposit plus the refundable security fee which is $400 the total amount you are going to send is ($2650)“on your arrival” you will pay the remaining $2250 payment while I will then hand over the keys to you. Your $400 security fee will be refunded by me, on your day of departure. We will make every effort to satisfy you.

You can pay the full payment now to send you your full confirmation booking payment receipt and your reservation number. The full payment is $4500 booking fee plus $400 security feel (total $4900). We normally give 10% discount for the full payment.

The full payment to send with 10% discount is ($4410)

Here is our account details to make payment and guarantee your booking :

Bank Name : Bank of America
Acct Name: Brian Lee Hunt
Acct Number : xxxxxxxx00769
Rout Number : 026009593 (Details Noted)

The fastest way is to find Bank of America location in your area to deposit the amount to secure your reservation, there will be no transfer fee to send it.

Let me know when the payment is made, so that I can prepare and forward your receipt to you. Please remember to print and come along with the booking payment receipt that I will attach and forward to you after confirmation of deposit. You would get your booking confirmation number, booking payment receipt and the real value for your money once your payment is confirmed.

Don't pass up the chance for a great stay ““Perfect place, perfect time, perfect vacation” Thanks, and have a great vacation

Eric Johnson, Saint Philip Street, New Orleans LA Vacation Rentals

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon