HAVE QUESTIONS? - ASK FOR HELP HERE - Have you received an email you aren't sure about? Are you currently corresponding with someone you suspect is a scammer? Do you have questions about a scam? Post here for answers and advice.
#442857 by Aurise Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:47 pm
I received this email today from Chess Games <[email protected]>:

Hello {my first and last name},

Chess.com is seeking a Front-End Web Developer.

What you’ll do

• Develop and maintain an array of special pages within the chesscom family of brands and activities. Pages that get millions of visitors.
• This can vary from landing pages to event info pages and campaign pages.
• We use HTML, CSS and Vanilla JavaScript for this (its not part of our global codebase and framework).

You are...

• A Master of HTML and CSS: Your knowledge of HTML and CSS is not just surface-level; you possess a good understanding of modern techniques, including flexbox, grid, and other advanced layout methods.
• A responsive Design Master: You have an innate understanding of responsive web design, ensuring a seamless experience across various devices and screen sizes.
• JavaScript Savvy: Your familiarity with modern JavaScript enhances your ability to bring interactive elements to life.
• Chess player: You love the game of chess and want to help us continue to deliver on our mission
• Lifelong learner: You are never satisfied with your current knowledge and thirst for more

Your Soft Skills:

• Precision Personified: Your attention to detail ensures that your designs are pixel-perfect and meet the highest standards of quality. For this reason, we request you add “ChessRules” into one of your answers to this application.
• Deadline Dynamo: Your strong work ethic and commitment to timelines make you a reliable team player.
• Problem Solver Extraordinaire: You thrive on tackling unconventional challenges and finding innovative solutions.
• Integrity is Non-Negotiable: You uphold values of integrity and openness, fostering a culture of trust within the team. We are an entirely remote company so trust is a must.
• Independent Innovator: While you excel in a collaborative environment, your ability to work independently sets you apart, allowing you to take ownership of your projects.

Bonus Points if You...

• Grasp Marketing Basics: A basic understanding of marketing principles will give you an edge, allowing your designs to align seamlessly with our broader business goals.
• Figma Maestro: Familiarity with Figma is a plus. We use it for design collaboration and handovers, and your expertise will streamline our workflow.

We encourage you to apply even if you don't match 100% of the criteria

About the Opportunity

This is a full-time position.
We are 100% remote (work from anywhere)
Start date: Immediate
Pay $50/hr

Benefits:

We offer 100% remote work experience so you save on commute time and cost! We offer partial internet reimbursement and a company computer. Competitive health insurance benefits, 401(k),401(k) matching,Dental insurance,Employee discount,Paid time off,Vision insurance.

About Us

Chess.com is one of the largest gaming sites in the world and the #1 platform for playing, learning, and enjoying chess.

We are a team of 700+ fully remote people in 60+ countries working hard to serve the global chess community. We are here to support 145 million players worldwide with the best possible product, content, and tools to serve the chess community!

We are a tech company. A gaming company. A content company. And we do it all with passion and commitment to the game. Above all we prize our mission-driven, flat, life-celebrating, no-corporate culture, and we look forward to meeting you and learning more about what you can bring to the team.

HOW TO APPLY

We came across your website link through http://www.resumes.indeed.com and we would like to have a brief chat with you through our HR Zoom page for the job interview, you can download Zoom app on your computer or smartphone from the App Store, and message the Online Recruiting Manager on Zoom through her email ([email protected]) to get started.

Chess.com is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, legally protected physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.

Ashley King
Human Resources
Chess.com

Curious, I took to Zoom and chatted with "Ashley" there. They asked for my portfolio link and resume (which I sent) and they sent me a PDF of interview questions, all of them about frontend development. I probably an hour answering and sent the PDF back. The only information this person got from me was my legal name, email address, phone number, and whatever is already publicly accessible from stuff like LinkedIn and my portfolio website.

Hilariously enough, I got this 2 hours later:

Warmest Congratulations on Joining Our Team!

Dear {my legal first name and last name},

I hope this message finds you in good health and high spirits. On behalf of the entire team at [Chess.com], I wanted to extend our warmest congratulations on your recent appointment as [Front-end Web Developer]. We are delighted to have you onboard and believe that your skills and expertise will greatly contribute to our continued growth

First and foremost, allow me to say that your qualifications and experience truly stood out among a pool of candidates. The hiring committee was impressed not only by your impressive resume but also by your enthusiasm for the industry and your dedication to professionalism. Your skills and expertise align perfectly with the goals and objectives of our organization, and we cannot wait to witness the positive impact you will make.

As you embark on this exciting new chapter of your career, I assure you that you will find yourself surrounded by a talented and supportive team. The contributions and unique perspectives of each team member have consistently fostered an environment of collaboration and innovation – qualities that define our company culture. We believe that your presence will further enrich this dynamic and inspire us all to reach new heights.

Once again, congratulations on your appointment to the [Front-end Web Developer] role. We firmly believe that you are an excellent fit for this position and are excited to witness your potential unfold within our organization. On behalf of the entire team at [Chess.com], we extend our warmest welcome and look forward to getting to know you better.

Should you require any additional information or clarification, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly. I would be more than happy to assist you ,your onboarding documentation will be send to your email now .

Welcome aboard!
Your onboarding documentation will be send to your email soon

I guess it's in whatever onboarding documentation they send me will be the actual phishing stuff. But dang, if only interviews were this easy lol. I'm not particularly concerned since my emails all have 2FA. I guess the worst that could happen is that they pretend to be me somewhere else? Dunno. Either way, I'm not about to quit my current job for this one lol
Advertisement

#442859 by AlanJones Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:28 pm
It's 100% definitely a scam.

A legitimate business would not be using free email addresses like [email protected] and [email protected].

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.