HAVE QUESTIONS? - ASK FOR HELP HERE - Have you received an email you aren't sure about? Are you currently corresponding with someone you suspect is a scammer? Do you have questions about a scam? Post here for answers and advice.
#379894 by heathcliffsdistress Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm
TL;DR: Typed my first name, email address, and home address into a "iPhone X giveaway" via a link on YouTube supposedly from one of my favourite rappers accounts. What now?

Yes, I know, someone's already said it's one of the oldest scams on the Internet (which isn't really possible because iPhones weren't released until 2007) but here's what happened:
So I had a notification on YouTube today and it said one of my favourite rappers was doing an iPhone X giveaway. It just so happens that she does a few giveaways, like literally giving people $500, so I thought it might have something genuine about it.
It brought up this Apple-looking page (it wouldn't let me click on anything around the page; they were dead links) and asked you what colour you wanted, how big a memory, etc, and then it came to details like name, email address and home address. So at this point I was still like ?? because if it didn't ask for bank account details, it might be alright? Anyway, after I'd "submit", it then asked me to fill out one of these surveys to make it "go through" or something and by this point, I'd clicked on and blocked the pop up's.

So now, I'm just wondering what scammers can do with your name, email address and home address. I feel really dumb because I'm usually really careful about things like this but they got me good this time. I've made a new email address, but there's nothing I can do about my name or home address.
Advertisement

#379897 by Mike Wilson Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:26 pm
This is most likely setup to harvest email addresses for a future spamming. You may have to create a new email address if the spam email gets to large.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#379898 by heathcliffsdistress Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:34 pm
Mike Wilson wrote:This is most likely setup to harvest email addresses for a future spamming. You may have to create a new email address if the spam email gets to large.

Okay, thanks for the feedback.
I haven't received anything yet, but I'll keep a look out and see if anything happens. I was most worried about my home address.