HAVE QUESTIONS? - ASK FOR HELP HERE - Have you received an email you aren't sure about? Are you currently corresponding with someone you suspect is a scammer? Do you have questions about a scam? Post here for answers and advice.
#386464 by hedem412 Thu May 23, 2019 6:39 pm
A few months ago I was contacted through words with friends from a guy I was playing Oscar Stallon. I typically keep conversation very light and limited cause internet relationships are not something I am accustomed too. He claims to be a marine currently stationed in Eygpt ending his contract in September. We continued chatting for a few weeks on the app when I finally agreed to text him at the number he had given me. I’m not oblivious to internet scams or easily trusting. He had a 401 area code which is where I am from and he claimed to live in NY so I immediately seen red flags so I reverse searched his phone number. It came up as no results found as did his name. Against my own judgement I continued talking to him, recently he asked me to wire money to an attorney [email protected] for a proxy marriage certificate so he could come here on vacation leave. I sent the email and when he responded his name was Thom Stalker. He wanted me to do a moneygram for this process, I refused so he then asked I send a check priority mail to a 3rd party Kessington Ego, who upon FB stalking and google satellite search of the address i realized it was going to a housing project to a 23yr old party animal. I immensely told Oscar I was not sending money to fraudulent people and he assured me he had no knowledge of them being fake. I knew better but for some dumb reason continued contact. He then asked me to request a vacation myself with the marines. I emailed the address he gave me [email protected]. Requesting the time. I received an email back from Commander Watson Holder. This is what he sent United States Department of Defense - Defense.gov

DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
3rd CHILD DIVISION
1500 Pentagon Pedestrian Tunnel, Washington, DC, United States.

Attention:

This is to notify you that we receive your mail, You mail us for the license request on behalf of your partner, who is one of the E7 serving the United States in Egypt

This is the vacation license available:
4 weeks this will cost you $ 4000.usd
6 weeks This will cost you $ 12000usd
12 weeks: This will cost you $ 30000usd

I refused to send the money and called the entire thing off after googling vacation scams. Oscar immediately defended himself saying I was crazy and that he doesn’t need my money blah blah blah, an unfortunately I believed his nonsense and continued talking to him. He is now telling me his daughter is very sick with a tumor needing surgery and chemo, and they will not let him leave on emergency leave, although he is the only living parent. I work in medical so I know they need parental consent for any treatment. He wants me to complete the vacation process cause they’ll let him leave for that but not his daughters surgery and treatment. He’s also asking for $1500 worth of iTunes cards for WiFi. He claims to have a lot of money himself but is unable to access it being deployed I am not an idiot and know I am being scammed but I cannot prove any of it. I’ve google image searched every picture he’s ever sent me and nothing comes up, so I continue talking to me. I would love nothing more than for him to be everything he claims but have a really bad feeling he’s complete BS! Please help cause although I feel in my guts I’m right I’m afraid I could be wrong and I’ll ruin something that could potentially be great.
Advertisement

#386474 by AlanJones Thu May 23, 2019 10:36 pm
hedem412 wrote:He then asked me to request a vacation myself with the marines. I emailed the address he gave me [email protected]. Requesting the time.

This is all the evidence that you need that he is a romance scammer.

the US military do not communicate with servicemen's real families, so they definitely would not be communicating with an Internet Penpal, which is what your relationship with him is. Secondly, the military would not be using a free Gmail address.

Also, servicemen have no need to pay for vacation, it is earned just like any other employee and if he is deployed, he would only return at the end of his deployment.

As for his latest lies about his daughter, he would be eligible for compassionate leave and has no need to pay for WiFi.

The best thing that you can do is block him and stop all communication. Don't accuse him of being a scammer as he will continue to deny it, just disappear.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#386478 by hedem412 Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 am
Ugghhh I know, all signs were there for him being a con artist. I guess I tried convincing myself he wasn’t but deep down I knew. Thank you for your response I appreciate it. Thankfully I was smart enough not to fall for his deceitful words.