HAVE QUESTIONS? - ASK FOR HELP HERE - Have you received an email you aren't sure about? Are you currently corresponding with someone you suspect is a scammer? Do you have questions about a scam? Post here for answers and advice.
#386650 by Ejizme Sun May 26, 2019 2:33 pm
I am not unfamiliar with scams as I have been online for roughly two decades and then some. This scenario is perplexing me though.

I have not been asked for money but I was at first asked if I had a bank account or card that he could send money to.
I know Big Time Red Flag right there don't give that sort of information out so I did and I told him I actually do not even have a bank account nor do I own a credit card and my credit is crap.
So now he's trying to figure out a different way that he can send me money. He asked me to download an app called blockchain. Well that didn't work out because when I went to set up an account I told him I can't do it because I don't have a computer and a phone and for some reason they want you to take a picture of something on the computer screen with your phone.
So now we move onto talkin about prepaid cards like NetSpend or Green Dot but he specifically had mentioned Visa Vanilla credit card. But I do actually have bad credit and I can't get a credit card I told the guy that I would go ahead and get a prepaid card though. And I did sign up for a GreenDot Visa cash back prepaid card.
He wanted the routing and Bank numbers of course so that he could direct deposit what he is calling charity into my account. Now here's another interesting aspect of the story he apparently works for Volvo and the money would be coming from Volvo. Not him directly. Another red flag because I know that Volvo and other companies don't just give money to random people on the Internet lol.
So I get him the routing number and everything and he says that whomever he's working with now needs to know my login information for my card, as in how I would login on the website to access my account and view my balance that sort of stuff.
Even though I cannot wrap my mind around what is going on here I stopped and I said no there's no reason for me to give out any passwords for anything like that that is not how direct deposit works anyways you have all the information that you need you and your associate do not need my login username and password. However he claims that that's how it's done at Volvo that's how he did it and that's the only way that it can be done.
So what's got me perplexed here is why would this person want access to an empty card? Laundering money in somebody else's name? Embezzling? I'd really like to know what's going on here cuz this is a weird one to me.
I did ask why he can't just do something simple like Western Union or MoneyGram or Takin self to the store and buy a prepaid card and then mail it to me but the excuse is always that he doesn't have the time pretty much. So yeah I'm puzzled LOL.

We met on Instagram, didn't talk much there and moved it over to text messaging. The phone number he's texting me from is a California area code which he did say he was from California. I have no other information like email addresses.

Thank you and if there's anything missing or any other info that may be relevant ask away I will be checking back frequently.
Advertisement

#386651 by AlanJones Sun May 26, 2019 2:42 pm
He wants you to launder money for him by whatever means he can organise.

The card has none of your money on it, but it is registered in your name. The money transferred to it will come from victims of other scams or compromised accounts and when those victims complain, the only real details available to the authorities will be yours.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#386653 by Ejizme Sun May 26, 2019 3:27 pm
I was just doing some more digging with Google and I found out that apparently recently some prepaid cards can be overdrafted now.
[Removed - AJ]

Maybe they have a way to do this?
Last edited by AlanJones on Sun May 26, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed external link