HAVE QUESTIONS? - ASK FOR HELP HERE - Have you received an email you aren't sure about? Are you currently corresponding with someone you suspect is a scammer? Do you have questions about a scam? Post here for answers and advice.
#428920 by MasterBaiter Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:28 am
Someone messaged me out of the blue with the subject line RE ROOM.
He's asking for a place to stay, this is the most recent email he sent me

"sounds good . im willing to pay extra also depending on circumstances.
right now im applying for a visa to ONTARIO and would appreciate some contacts in ontario.
Is it aright If I provide you as a contact in CANADA ?
The supporting document for the visa would state that that I am currently looking for housing in ON, CANADA and would list this snippet of conversation as evidence that i am looking for rooms to rent"

Im pretty sure this is a scam since I never posted an ad about a room to rent. Id just like to know how this type of scam works.
Advertisement

#428921 by AlanJones Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:53 am
Hi,

The fact that he randomly messaged you about a non-existent room is a good indication that there is something dodgy going on, but it's hard to say exactly what his motives are from the email that you posted.

It's possible that he is just trying to fraudulently obtain a visa, although I doubt that a random email about the possibility of a room would be considered as evidence. The other possibility is that it could be an overpayment scam, he would agree to rent a room from you and pay you a deposit. The payment he sends would be too much and he would either ask you to refund the difference or pay a third party (in reality the scammer using a different name) for something such as visa fees.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.