Room for Rent and other rental scams
#168681 by The013 Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:39 pm
Sorry for bumping a 2 months thread but here are email I got. As you can see, they are almost identical to the previous versions posted here. The offer was too good to be true to begin with and after the last email "proposal" it became clear that this whole offer is a scam. After some searching I found this website that reinforced my suspicions.

This is en email I got after I expressed my interest in renting an apartment from Mattias Mattsson who claimed to live in London and did not provide a phone number.
Thank you for your reply but the matter is that I'm in London already. Like I have inform you before, the price you shall pay for one month of rent will be 550EURO, with no extra taxes to pay. The money, I want to revive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it.
Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. In order of that I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 3 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a company called TNT which is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS, which will handle both payment and delivery of the Keys.
I have found a procedure that will allow you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys of it and through this way you will see it and decide if you will stay in the apt or not before I receive my payment.Please click on the link bellow to the TNT website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company where the procedure is explained: http://www.tnt.com/express/en_gb/site/h ... ivery.html
Let me know if you are interested please because I really need to take care of this matter by the end of this week or the beginning of the next one.

And this is what I got after I agreed to his proposal:

I want to inform you that TNT will hold the money until you will confirm to them that you like the apt and keep the keys. If you don't like it, you only have to return the keys to them after they will refund the money to you and they will deliver the keys back to me on my expense.
I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works and how we can make it happen. You will only have to deposit to TNT Service 2 months of rent - ( 550EURO + 550EURO = 1100EURO ) - so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the keys and the contract.No deposit required.
Like I said, I will pay for a 3 days delivery so you will receive the Keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain to you step by step how this will work:
1 - To start this transaction i will need to know your full shipping information, full name, full shipping address to proceed with this deal .
2 - I go to the TNT Office and leave the Keys and the contract in your name as the intended receiver.
3 - TNT will check the envelope to see if everything is OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Keys.
4 - TNT will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody, in which you will be told that they have the Keys and that they checked it.
5 - At this point you will have to go to your Bank Location and make a money transfer to the bank account of TNT Representative for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit is 1100EURO.
6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the infos about the money deposit to TNT.
7 - TNT will verify the payment informations and if everything is in order they will deliver the Keys and the contract to you .
8 - After you receive the package, You will go and check the apt and in 3 days you must contact them and tell them if you keep the apt or not, if everything is in order you will instruct TNT to release the funds to me.
If you don't like the apt they will send your money back and you will send them the keys and the contract to them to return the package back to me on my expense.

I will pay TNT Service for the shipping.

Now i must know for sure if you agree because here are a lot of peoples interested to have this apartment rented and i want to know for sure what i must tell them. If you agree what i suggested i will tell them that my apartment is already rented and i will keep it for you. If you agree then i must have all the shipping details so i will be able to make all the arrangements for the TNT delivery.
Advertisement

#176396 by laradiaz Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:03 am
Hello everyone,
I know nothing about internet scams but I just came though one of these emails you are talking about. I saw a nice apartment and I asked the guy about it over the email. He said he was form England, told me about his family etc. It didn't seem weird until he told me about the money. That was this morning and, since it didn't look right to me, I started looking for a possible fraud. I have this guys email and also the ad of for this apartment. Would that be of any help in stoping him of doing it again?
#176403 by Gateway Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:13 pm
Hi and welcome to SW... :D

No it would probably not stop him, but what it will do is to have the info searchable and other victims might google the information and it might help stop someone else from being scammed.

If you could post the email with the headers that would be great, please remember to remove your details

If you wish you can email me at
[email protected]

How to get E-Mail Headers
http://www.isipp.com/resources/email-headers/
#176493 by TerranceBoyce Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:21 am
If you are intending to post http://www.fifacoinsjoy.com in the fake website forum would you please move it there along with your evidence.

I would agree that it looks suspicious and your post will assist others to avoid using it.

Please ensure you make postings of other fake websites in the correct forum - thanks. :wink:

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#179412 by flaino Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:50 pm
Same thing happened to me but fortunately the whole thing sounded very suspicious so I googled this supposed company that was to handle the accommodations (TNT Rental) and ended up on this thread. This time he used the name "Keneth Bryen" and posed as a mid 50's graphics designer from London who had bought an apartment in Lima, Peru for his daughter but since she finished studying there he wanted to rent it instead of just selling it. He used the email address "[email protected]". Everything he said in the email seemed suspicious but what really did it for me was the fact that the name had absolutely no digital footprint whatsoever. That in this day and age is almost impossible and even more so for a supposedly successful graphics designer from London. Beware of these types of scams, never trust anyone on the internet. I hope this person is stopped and brought to justice immediately.
Last edited by flaino on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#179417 by flaino Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:07 pm
Has anyone tried sending a complaint to the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center? (complaint.ic3.gov) From what some people have posted, this looks like a crime originating from within the US so the FBI should be able to do something about it...
#179440 by Dotti Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:06 pm
Any American victim who has lost money is of course encouraged to report the crime to IC3.

As far as the origin of the crime goes--there is no actual evidence to support that the crime has originated in the US. AOL can be accessed from outside the US, and will result in US IP's. The phone number in question could have been a VOIP number - depending on the site used to look up the number, there can be a lag in the time it takes for a provider change to show up. The original poster stated that he was shown a real US passport. These scammers are in fact smart enough never to use their own ID. Scammers frequently recycle ID's sent to them by former victims, and it is fairly common or scammers to use the name and location of a prior victim.

It would actually be nice if the scammer really was located in the US, because odds of getting him arrested and possibly retrieving some of the stolen money would be far greater. But the writing suggests that the author is African. He is very likely not in the US or in UK either. It is much more likely that he is in Africa or Malaysia.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#179476 by flaino Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:36 am
Yeah, it actually makes mores sense for it to be as you're pointing out. The e-mails that I exchanged with the subject had grotesque grammatical errors which would be unlikely for a native English speaker. So what can be done about it?
#199253 by mrbombastic Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:37 pm
Hello,I just read your e-mail regarding my apartment located in : 56 Littewood, Stepaside, Dublin. It has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and 1 kitchen. I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Ireland, but now she's back home permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time.Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long.The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of 550EURO/month. As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment. My daughter is building her life here, and i am too old to move to Ireland, so we won't disturb you.You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a very large and well ventilated cellar, where you can store my furniture.Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Kelvin Hissink and I'm a 58 years old graphic designer from London /United Kingdom, planning to retire in the next 2 years.I have a lovely wife,Sarah and a 25 year old daughter, Maria. I am very proud to say that soon I'm going to be a grandfather :). Another member of our family is a 8 year old Labrador which we all love, so, I have no problem if you will keep pets.The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave London even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training.But this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from London (on my expense of course).Looking forward to hear from you soon.All the best from United Kingdom!Kelvin Hissink18 Rainhill Way,London, E3 3EYUnited Kingdomeems

like this guy is still active using the same adress just received a fishy email so I googled the particulars i will post this email to help anybody else
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.
#199270 by Scam1Buster Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:51 pm
Hi everyone,

I received the same today. See below:
-----------------------------------------
Hello,

I just read your e-mail regarding my apartment located in : 56 Littewood, Stepaside, Dublin. It has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and 1 kitchen. I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Ireland, but now she's back home permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time.
Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long.The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of 550EURO/month. As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment. My daughter is building her life here, and i am too old to move to Ireland, so we won't disturb you.
You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a very large and well ventilated cellar, where you can store my furniture.
Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Kelvin Hissink and I'm a 58 years old graphic designer from London /United Kingdom, planning to retire in the next 2 years.
I have a lovely wife,Sarah and a 25 year old daughter, Maria. I am very proud to say that soon I'm going to be a grandfather :). Another member of our family is a 8 year old Labrador which we all love, so, I have no problem if you will keep pets.
The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave London even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training.
But this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from London (on my expense of course).

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

All the best from United Kingdom!

Kelvin Hissink
18 Rainhill Way,
London, E3 3EY
United Kingdom
Kelvin Hissink ([email protected])

---------------------------------------

The fake rental was a copy of this apartment except that he said 1 bathroom:
http://www.daft.ie/lettings/56-littewoo ... n/1438397/

My wife and I found it too good to be true (the guy talks about his life + the rent price according to the area) and checked on Internet and found you guys.

And in a German site about fraud:
http://wohnungsbetrug.blogspot.ie/2014/ ... ng-zu.html

[email protected] alias Kelvin Hissink Schöne Wohnung zu vermieten! 8010 Graz (Steiermark) [email protected] 6 Hynes Yard, Galway City, Galway / Vorkassebetrug fraud scam
[email protected]

Schöne Wohnung zu vermieten! 8010 Graz (Steiermark)
Nr. 4867942. angeboten von Kelvin Hissink (privat) am 17. Jänner 2014, 12:19
http://www.privatmarkt.at/schoene-wohnu ... 67942.html

Sehr gute Infrastruktur. Zentrale Lage.
Haustiere erlaubt.
Das Wohnung wurde 2011 komplett saniert!
Parkplätze vorhanden.
Für Fragen sowie Besichtigungen stehe ich gerne zur Verfügung!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that this is the same guy(s)
http://www.ybig.ie/forum/fake-tnt-globa ... 48437.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'll keep you updated as I expect an answer from him/them :)

Take care guys !

Scam1Buster
#199305 by Scam1Buster Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:25 am
As expected:

Hi,

Thank you for your reply but the matter is that I'm in London already. Like I have inform you before, the price you shall pay for one month of rent will be 550EURO, with no extra taxes to pay. The money, I want to revive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it.
Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. In order of that I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 3 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a company called TNT which is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS, which will handle both payment and delivery of the Keys.
I have found a procedure that will allow you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys of it and through this way you will see it and decide if you will stay in the apt or not before I receive my payment.Please click on the link bellow to the TNT website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company where the procedure is explained: http://www.tnt.com/express/en_gb/site/h ... ivery.html
Let me know if you are interested please because I really need to take care of this matter by the end of this week or the beginning of the next one.
------------------------------

Take care guys,

Chris
#199312 by mrbombastic Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:19 am
Hi,Thank you for your reply but the matter is that I'm in London already. Like I have inform you before, the price you shall pay for one month of rent will be 550EURO, with no extra taxes to pay. The money, I want to revive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it. Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. In order of that I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 3 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a company called TNT which is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS, which will handle both payment and delivery of the Keys. I have found a procedure that will allow you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys of it and through this way you will see it and decide if you will stay in the apt or not before I receive my payment.Please click on the link bellow to the TNT website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company where the procedure is explained: http://www.tnt.com/express/en_gb/site/home/services/express_delivery.html Let me know if you are interested please because I really need to take care of this matter by the end of this week or the beginning of the next one.> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:09:04 +0100ontinued today he mailed me back