Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#186673 by Longdistance Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:11 am
I got this email earlier today shortly after visiting a local county's website and paying for a traffic violation. 1+1 sometimes equals how scammers are collecting basic data...

Here's the email...

Pretrial notice,

Hereby we inform that you are obliged to come as a defendant
to The Court of Atlanta in February 23, 2014 at 09:00 a.m.
for the hearing of your case of illegal software use.
If necessary you have a right to obtain a lawyer for your protection.
You are kindly asked to have an identity document with you.
Personal appearance is compulsory.

Please find the plaint note with more detailed case information
attached to this letter and study it thoroughly.

Court clerk,
Karen Smith

Total scam...
Advertisement

#186702 by Papakid Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:04 pm
I got one of these Monday. Figured it was malware, but the court being in neighboring Louisiana peaked my interest. I looked at the email headers in plain text and did a whois on the IP address (ostensibly from perkinscoie.com) and interestingly enough it resolves to the University of North Carolina. I suppose that could be spoofed as well, but I wonder if the university's network is compromised--or a student's computer is infected and now on a botnet. This is the From line:

from perkinscoie.com (unch739.unch.unc.edu [204.85.208.166])
by mtaig-mac02.mx.aol.com (Internet Inbound) with SMTP id 2CBED70000089

Also, does anyone else use a traffic generating service? It seems every time I log in to ViralInbox I get spam and scam emails like this shortly afterward.
#186743 by Deltac287 Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:26 pm
How does this work for the iPad s and iPhones just curious cuz it will not allow me to open the zip because of the software on my phone and iPad however will this malicious activity still go into effect ?
#186805 by Cissou Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:19 pm
Just got one of these today, from the court of New York... Funny, as I don't even live in the US :-)
#186849 by FirenMedic Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:45 pm
My dad received something similar, and he doesn't live in the US neither... :

De : "Illegal software" <[email protected]>

Objet : Notice of court attendance #ID111

Warrant to appear,

Please be informed that you are expected
in the Court of Georgia on February 2nd, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.
where the hearing of your case of illegal software use will take place.

You may obtain protection of a lawyer, if necessary.
Please bring your identity documents to the Court on the named day.
Attendance is compulsory.

The detailed plaint note is attached to this letter, please download and read it thoroughly.

Court clerk,
ROBINSON DILLON

I guess he can sleep in peace? There's ofcourse a .Zip file attached to the email...
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Added quotation
#187175 by Mauimama23 Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:23 pm
I just received this via email. It has a zip file as an attachment. I'm guessing it's spam but it sounds pretty scary!! Has anyone received this one?

Notice to Appear,

Hereby you are notified that you have been scheduled to appear for your hearing that
will take place in the court of San Francisco in January 21, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Please bring all documents and witnesses relating to this case with you to Court on your hearing date.
The copy of the court notice is attached to this letter.
Please, read it thoroughly.

Note: If you do not attend the hearing the judge may hear the case in your absence.

Yours truly,
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Clerk to the Court.
#187182 by TerranceBoyce Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:41 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Mauimama23.

Do not open the zip file under any circumstances and delete the whole message and make sure that it is deleted, not just lying in your 'trash'. If you open the zip file it will do your pc serious harm.

Presumably the 'court' document doesn't mention your name. Courts serve papers through the post not by email and they name the person on whom they're served. The intention is to get you so worried you open the zip file to find out what it's about. That would be a serious mistake.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#187185 by Mauimama23 Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:31 pm
Thank you, TerranceBoyce!!!!

I really appreciate the warm welcome as well as your advice! Boy, they really instill the fear in people by sending out emails such as this one! I was just about to open the file then decided to get recommendations. Thanks for being a lifesaver! This could have been a really bad situation!!

Have a great night!
#188656 by AlanJones Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:56 am
The spammers are still issuing their emails

To: XXX
Subject: Hearing of your case in Court No2509
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 09:12:49 -0700

Notice to Appear in Court,

This is to advise that you are required to attend
the court of Pittsburgh in February 8, 2014 for the hearing of your case.

Please, kindly prepare and bring the documents related to this case to Court on the date mentioned above.
Attendance is compulsory.

The copy of the court notice is attached to this letter,
please, download and read it thoroughly.

PARKER Vance
Clerk to the Court.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#189192 by AlanJones Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:50 pm
The spammers are also using the email address [email protected]>

Notice of appearance,

You are hereby notified that you are required to attend
the court of Chicago in January 24, 2014 as a defendant
for the hearing of a pirated software case.

Compulsory attendance.
You may have the services of a lawyer, if necessary.
Failure to appear may result in the imposition of sanctions.

You may find the detailed pretrial notice attached to this letter,
you are highly recommended to study it thoroughly in advance.

Court agent,
Barbara Smith

The person who forwarded me these details reports that it did not set off their anti-virus.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#189196 by Papakid Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:22 pm
AlanJones wrote:The person who forwarded me these details reports that it did not set off their anti-virus.

Well, that's why it's sent as a *.zip, most antiviruses can't read the executable code in an archive unless they are set to. But it should catch it when you try to unzip it. Which I don't recommend unless you have a test platform and experience in analyzing and dealing with malware.
#189219 by QldPatAussie Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:04 pm
I just searched your boards for this one and couldn't find it, but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be the first, I must say it gave me a good laugh to start the day with. I outright own my own property with no encumbrances, so, to receive an "Eviction Notice" by email of all things, yep, sure, I was sucked in, NOT!!! Being the skeptic that I am, it is not easy to fool me, emails asking for help, partnerships to steal money from banks, supposed lottery wins and a recent slew of Court Notice emails only serve to give me a laugh to start my day, that these scammers think that the email addresses that they flood could possibly be unjaded enough by now to believe any email they receive, well, who is the idiot?!! But this latest one, which is supposedly a Court ordered Eviction Notice would be tricky for anyone in a rental situation, as I have people of my acquaintance, whom no matter how often they are warned will still click on the links in these types of emails as they employ the panic first then moan later about being hacked approach. These emails have no real effect on me, principally because they are supposedly issued from American courts and I am in Australia, and secondly, if you read the opening statement, the Clerk of the Court is supposedly named MORRIS BLACKBURN, oh, just too funny, the Clerk of the Court has the same name as a high profile firm of solicitors, yep, I'm going to fall for that. The email is titled EVICTION NOTIFICATION by the by and is supposedly issued by the RIDUSCOURT, aha, so the court issues email notices now, just so funny, okay, thanks people and cheers. Pat
#189247 by David Jansen Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:09 am
Welcome here QldPatAussie

Could you please post the email and the email address that was used?

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#189248 by Feebee71 Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:43 am
I have registered with this site to specifically reply to his thread after visiting my 'friend' Google about this matter.

I too have received an emailed eviction notice from the same source. I'm in the UK and would have been very concerned if I hadn't known that any eviction in the UK has to follow a strict process with the issuance of certain documents that must be completed in a very specific way - and this 'notice' does not!! Someone with less knowledge could well be taken in.

This is the email address it has come from

[email protected]

It is titled like this in the subject heading

Vacate notice No2595

And this is the body of the email

Eviction Notification,

Please be advised that you are obliged to
vacate the living space you occupy until March 28, 2014, 11 a.m.

If you do not vacate it in the specified terms,
the court will have to assign the forcible eviction for April 5, 2014, 11 a.m.
If nobody is home we will not be responsible for safe keeping of your belongings.
Besides, if you fail to comply with the requirements of the court bailiff
you will be fined for up to 200 minimum wage amounts
with a subsequent doubling of the penalty amount
and can be made criminally or administratively liable.

The details of the circumstances that caused the judicial decision
of eviction are attached herewith.

Court bailiff,
CUMMINGS Osborne

There is also an attachment but I have made no attempt to open it - because I'm really not that stupid, no, really I'm not even though I generally access the Internet via an Apple device so know viruses etc are less common but not totally absent!!

This is the second email I've received in recent weeks purporting to have come from a court (the previous occasion being from Atlanta court demanding my presence at my 'trial for use of illegal software' and requesting I bring certain identity documents with me. I'm off to search the internet to see whether anyone has reported that email.

Feebee
#189250 by AlanJones Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:04 am
Feebee71 wrote:This is the second email I've received in recent weeks purporting to have come from a court (the previous occasion being from Atlanta court demanding my presence at my 'trial for use of illegal software' and requesting I bring certain identity documents with me. I'm off to search the internet to see whether anyone has reported that email.

They have - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=80353

This is a variation on the same theme - the attachment will be a zipped file containing a virus or other malware.

Legitimate courts do not issue summons or eviction notices by email - the law (in the UK and I assume most other countries) state that such items are only deemed served if they are sent by regular mail.

As Feebee says, there are also a number if inconsistencies between the email that they posted and the real way that an eviction would occur (I won't detail them here as it might help educate the pathetic creatures issuing these emails).