Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#217804 by ServantofJesus Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:54 pm
A 65 year old woman sent me a message on Facebook telling me she had a message from God for me and asked me to mail her soon because she would deactivate her account soon. So I sent a mail (immediately afterwards the FB account was gone) and then she told me she has cancer and may not live more than 2 months and she is willing to donate 5 million dollars to me so that I can use it to help the poor etc in my country.

I thought it was real so I agreed to help her with this and she gave me a security code and other secret information. And she asked me to send it with my name, address and phone number to fidelity bank email and managing director's email.

I sent a mail to that bank but now they ask me to give them bank name, bank address, account holder name, account number, etc. for the money transfer.

I don't know if it's a scam or not. Her emails looked real but now I am paranoid and don't know what this is.

I am a 17 years old male. Please help.
Advertisement

#217806 by Bryon Williams Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:11 pm
yes, it is a scam.

No one in the world randomly writes someone to give away money. The scammer will have you fees for the pretend money. He will have you pay for fake lawyers,documents, courier fees, customs clearance and etc.

If he has your bank account information he may have other victims send you money then he will ask you to forward it back to him. He is using a fake name so he will never be caught. Only you will be caught if you receive money.

The FB account was deactivated because Facebook know he is a scammer.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#217809 by Dotti Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:20 pm
As Bryon has said, it is a definite scam.

It's what we call a "419 scam" or "advance fee fraud." 419 is the number of the code in Nigeria that makes these scams illegal, and a very large number of these scams come from Nigeria or nearby countries.

The "dying widow" format is pretty common. The scammer (who is really almost certainly a young African male, not a woman) convinces his victim that there is a large amount of money at stake. In reality, there is no fortune--the only money at stake is yours--and the scammer is trying to get it. Once you fall for the scam, the criminal will tell you that there are fees or bribes that must be paid in order to get this money to you He or an accomplice may even pose as a "diplomat" who is supposedly on the way to meet you with the money. He may introduce many other characters, like doctors, nurses, lawyers, or bankers. None of these characters are real.

If you pay any of these things, the scammer will then invent a new emergency or reason to get your money. He will keep doing this (collecting "advance fees") until you run out of money or finally come to the realization that you will never get any money and stop paying.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.